Wiki 28298 with 28289

tobieforte

Networker
Best answers
I need help! I'm trying to find out if there is a NCCI edit for these two codes. The RVU for CPT code 28298 is 7.75 and the RVU for 28289 is 6.90, so the 28298 is the primary code. I do not see that they are mutually exclusive according to CMS.

Per the OP report, I only see 1 incision that was done longitudinally, posterior medially over the hallux metatarsophalangeal joint where the biplanar dorsal cheilectomy was performed. The osteotomy was performed at the proximal phalanx.

I feel like these two procedures were performed in the same anatomical area. The question is: Should I apply a 51 or a 59 modifier to the 28289?? Please help!

Thank you!

Thanks for your reply. I'm confused. Where are you looking that the 28298 is the column 2 code?? I am coding for the physician and it has a higher RVU that the 28289.

Its not uncommon for the bundled procedure to have a higher RVU. In this case the one with the lower RVU will pay and the one higher is mutually exclusive.

Column 1Column 2* = In existence prior to 1996Effective DateDeletion Date
*=no data
Modifier
0=not allowed
1=allowed
9=not applicable
PTP Edit Rationale
282892829820000605*1Mutually exclusive procedures

Last edited:
Well thank you for explaining. It's just very confusing when you are in the habit of considering the higher RVU code column 1. I had checked Code X both ways, and they are not mutually exclusive either way.