Wiki Adult ADHD or ADD

AROSPOPO

New
Best answers
Need some expert advise on ADHD and ADD Adult dx coding.
How do you bill an adult coming in for med refill with a diagnosis of ADHD? I pose this also if documentation says ADD for an adult?
The doctor may say this patient has ADHD and has had problems with attention. If I look in the index, Disorder; Attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder (adolescent/child/adult) It ranges from F90.0, F90.2-combined,F90.1 hyperacitive impulsive, F90.0-Inattentive,F90.8-specified type(whatever that means?) Then under those, its F98.8-Attention deficit without hyperactivity. So, given that I go into book and look them up. It specifically says that any of these codes may be used in adults in the NOTE above those codes.
My problem here may also be the doctors documentation isn't as code specific as it could be. What is the difference in ADD F90.0 inattentive type or F98.8 Attention-deficit without hyperactivity (in the index description) but in the chapter F98.8 says Excessive masturbation, nail-biting, nose-picking, and thumb-sucking. Many coders I know have questions about this as well as myself.

Thanks for your help

Last edited by a moderator:
Z73.1, ADHD F90.9 documentation must be clear if you are to code type of ADHD. The wording "problems with attention" is just stating the ADHD or ADD
ADD F90.0 is crosswalked from I9 314.00
ADHD F90.9 is crosswaked from I9 314.01