Wiki Cochlear Implant Audiologist Question

cgoodling

Contributor
Best answers
I work for an ENT practice that has a new audiologist. Our doctors do cochlear implants, and much like hearing aids, before they receive the devices, they meet with the audiologist. We're not sure what the correct code would be for her to bill. Here's her description of what happens at the CI visit.

"It's a lot more extensive than a HAE. We schedule about two hours instead of one and hopefully they have both already had a HE but if not, we do one then as well so more time is needed if a HE needs to be included. They both consist of discussing patient's needs and expected outcomes. For HAEs, I discuss the different technology levels, styles, and what I recommend for them and if we have available, demo for them a pair as well (but we do not have this available here). For a CI evaluation, we will be programming hearing aids to patient's hearing loss. Then in the booth, we test each hearing aid individually and then together in quiet and in noise to see how they perform. Then counseling and discussing the CI if appropriate."

When I e-mailed Cochlear, they indicated that they thought 92700 (unlisted otorhinolaryngologic service), or perhaps 92626 would be appropriate. If we use 92700, which is what I'm leaning towards, I need to give something to compare it to, so we know how to price it out, compared to our other services.

Can anybody help, please?