Wiki Coding Help/Advice

Skewts

Best answers
Dr. has coded the following procedures - I am looking for input/advice on the codes I have chosen please.

Irrigation & Debridement of left hand to bone - CPT 11044

Repair of capsule, left middle finger metacarpopohalangeal joint - COT 26516

Left Hand Extensor Digitorum communis-3 repair in zone 5, left hand - CPT 26412

Closure of wound 2 cm left hand (probably included in above procedure) CPT 12031

DX - Left Hand Laceration
DX - Left hand extensor digitorum communis 3 laceration in zone 5

I have never coded this procedure so I am feeling not so confident - any advice is greatly appreciated.

Diane

• 11044 Debridement, bone (includes epidermis, dermis, subcutaneous tissue, muscle and/or fascia, if performed); first 20 sq cm or less +11047 each additional 20 sq cm, or part thereof (List separately in addition to code for primary procedure)
    • When debridement is performed to the same depth on more than one wound, the surface area of the wounds is combined. When the depth is different for two or more wounds, each wound is coded separately.
    • The second aspect of picking the proper wound debridement code is determining the surface area of the wound. If the entire wound surface has been debrided, the surface area is determined by the square centimeters (sq cm) of the wound after the debridement has been completed. If only a portion of the wound is debrided, report only the measurement of the area actually debrided.
  • 26516 - hard to say without reading the op note. Did the provider treat instability of the joint between a metacarpal bone and the proximal phalanx by incising the joint capsule and attaching it with increased tension to the metacarpal and phalanx? I would need more info on that to determine the correct code.
  • 26412 - again hard to say without the op note. Did the surgeon obtain any graft(s) from the patient? If the provider repaired the tendons more than seven days after the injury and not immediately then it’s known as a secondary repair.
  • 12031 - closure of wound and repair of tissues divided for initial surgical exposure, partial or complete is included in the global service package.