Wiki coding I11

angelalhale

Contributor
Best answers
I am trying to figure out the combination code for I11. Would Hypertension with CAD a qualification for using I11? I am not seeing that in the code book but it keeps coming up in conversation about how to code I11. Thanks for any help!

Hypertensive heart disease code I11.0 is not a combination code, but it has an instructional note to indicate the type of heart failure. To use I11.0, the patient would have hypertensive heart disease with heart failure. (The instructional note is indicated below, which is in the tabular under I11.0 in the ICD-10 manual)

transparent.gif
Use additional code to identify type of heart failure (I50.-) (I50-I50.9)

If the patient has hypertensive heart disease without heart failure or hypertensive heart disease NOS, , you would use I11.9.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is I25.1xx which is a not the same as as hypertensive heart disease.

I hope this helps.

Hypertensive heart disease code I11.0 is not a combination code, but it has an instructional note to indicate the type of heart failure. To use I11.0, the patient would have hypertensive heart disease with heart failure. (The instructional note is indicated below, which is in the tabular under I11.0 in the ICD-10 manual)

transparent.gif
Use additional code to identify type of heart failure (I50.-) (I50-I50.9)

If the patient has hypertensive heart disease without heart failure or hypertensive heart disease NOS, , you would use I11.9.

Coronary artery disease (CAD) is I25.1xx which is a not the same as as hypertensive heart disease.

I hope this helps.
so I have been running in circles with the includes, excludes for CAD with HTN. The patient does not have heart failure, but does have CAD which is a form of heart disease in everything I have read. Am I to assume that I would code I11.9, in addition to I25.10? Even though there is an assumed causal relationship, the type of heart disease still needs to be revealed correct?

so I have been running in circles with the includes, excludes for CAD with HTN. The patient does not have heart failure, but does have CAD which is a form of heart disease in everything I have read. Am I to assume that I would code I11.9, in addition to I25.10? Even though there is an assumed causal relationship, the type of heart disease still needs to be revealed correct?

No, you would not use I11.9 for CAD.

At the beginning of the I11 category, it gives you the following code ranges:

transparent.gif
transparent.gif
ico_includes.gif
transparent.gif
any condition in I50.- or I51.4-I51.7, I51.89, I51.9 due to hypertension (I50-I50.9, I51.4-I51.7, I51.89, I51.9)

I50-I50.9 would fall under I11.0, the rest of the codes would be I11.9

You can also refer to the ICD-10 guideline I.C.9.a.1

1) Hypertension with Heart Disease

Hypertension with heart conditions classified to I50.- or I51.4- I51.7, I51.89, I51.9, are assigned to a code from category I11, Hypertensive heart disease. Use additional code(s) from category I50, Heart failure, to identify the type(s) of heart failure in those patients with heart failure.

The same heart conditions (I50.-, I51.4-I51.7, I51.89, I51.9) with hypertension are coded separately if the provider has documented they are unrelated to the hypertension. Sequence according to the circumstances of the admission/encounter.

No, if the patient has CAD, you would only code I25.10. There is not an assumed relationship between HTN & CAD.