J44.1
I27.0
I11.9
E11.9
E87.3

My questions is reg code J96.01 & J96.02- can I code both? Please advise

Thanks,
M

I'm new to coding and studying for my cpc, however; looking at the dx codes J96.01 & J96.02 in the cpt book. I would think the physician is correct. He documented "
Acute hypoxic hypocapnic
(deficiency)
respiratory failure". CPT book states acute respiratory failure with Hypoxic(J96.01), however in the cpt book the code J96.02 is
acute respiratory failure with Hypercapnia (present of an excess). To me, present of an excess carbon dioxide in the blood causes deficiency.
The other codes states acute and chronic or either or whether with
Hypoxic
or
Hypercapnia. The physician did not mention chronic, hypoxic or hypocapnia.

Please let me know if I am right. If i'm wrong explain to me as well the true answer.

Thanks,
T

Hi,

Thanks for your response. New to coding too :)

What is throwing me off is that he documented them together.
I was wrong about the J96.02- :(

I looked it up again and Hypocapnia means hyperventilation R06.04 (Symptom)

Thank you :)
M-

I would recommend checking with your provider, but I'm pretty sure they probably meant to state "hypercapnic" respiratory failure. I have been coding for a pulmonary group for several years and I have never seen the statement "hypocapnic" respiratory failure. Assuming they meant to state "Acute hypoxic hypercapnic respiratory failure" then yes, you can definitely code these two diagnoses together. Hypercapnia and hypoxia can exist either independently or together and there is no single combination code to describe the two conditions together. I have reported this as J96.01 & J96.02 frequently without any edits or denials. Hope this helps. :)

"Hypoxia (Type I): An insufficient amount of oxygen reaching the cells of the body.
Hypercapnia (Type II): Overabundance or buildup of carbon dioxide build up in the blood."

They are different. Per ahajournals.org "Human Cerebrovascular Response to Combined Hypoxia and Hypercapnia"-

"Hypoxia and hypercapnia, acting separately, increase cerebral blood flow (1-4). Little is known of the simultaneous effects of these stimuli even though they frequently occur together in clinical situations."

This looks like they can be coded together.