Wiki Destruction of multiple malignant leisons with co2 laser

Best answers
I need some help with this laser procedure. My provider stated to code 17999 however I feel that the code set of 17260-17280 would be more appropriate. Please let me know what you think.

Numerous 1-5 mm skin colored to light brown dome-shaped papules were noted diffusely over the patient's trunk, neck, and several on the face including one underneath the right lower eyelid, right temporal scalp, left and right lateral and posterior neck, anterior chest, left 4th and 5th fingers, and back. Using the carbon dioxide laser with adequate metal eye shields placed, the CO2 laser at 3 watts was used to destroy these lesions after dermopathy confirmation of Pathology which were small nevoid basal cell carcinomas. Wound care instructions were given for these lesions to simply stay out of the sun and apply Vaseline to these areas.

Please let me know if you have any insight, I am not sure if I can even use the code set above due to I have no documentation on how many lesions where treated on each anatomical location.. Pretty lost on how to code this.

Last edited:
I would agree you can use the malignant destruction codes 17260-17286 as the definition includes laser surgery or malignant lesions, but each lesion needs to have it's own information documented in order to determine coding as far as size and location, and each would have a corresponding diagnosis based off the pathology report. Without it I am not sure you can charge for any procedure, as there is nothing documented to support it.