Wiki Durable Medical Equipment coding

karie

New
Best answers
I am needing to know what codes to use for an oxygen tank: both portable and stationary, rental and purchase. Also the gas oxygen that the tank contains I believe can be billed separately, I also need codes for stationary and portable concentrators. (rental and purchase) I am just confused on which codes are inclusive and if there are codes that can and cannot be used together.

DME Billing

It's been 3 years since I have done DME billing but when I was billing for oxygen it was:

E1390 - Concentrator
E0431 - Portable

This included the contents and Medicare did not purchase. It was considered a "capped rental" You could bill replacement tubing (A code if I remember correctly) every couple of months or so.

Your Medicare LCD will be your best friend in this matter. I hope this helped.

E

I am needing to know what codes to use for an oxygen tank: both portable and stationary, rental and purchase. Also the gas oxygen that the tank contains I believe can be billed separately, I also need codes for stationary and portable concentrators. (rental and purchase) I am just confused on which codes are inclusive and if there are codes that can and cannot be used together.

E0431 - Is the Portable gaseous O2 system, which includes the container (tank), the regulator, flowmeter, humidifier and the cannula (or mask) and tubing - You may not bill separately for the items that are included.
E0424 is a stationary compressed gas O2 system - Rental, which includes the O2 contents, regulator, flowmeter, humidifier, nebulizer, cannula (or mask) and tubing - You may not bill for contents if using this code.
E0425 Same as E0424 - but a purchase. You may bill for contents if the equipment is purchased
E0442 - Stationary O2 contents (billed with E0425)
E0443 - Portable O2 contents (billed with E0431)

Hope that is helpful :)