Wiki Er Visit

heart123

Expert
Best answers
where can i find information to give my doctor on er visits he keeps saying the pt is still in the er after 4 days i told him because they probably don't have a room which he said is correct.
i told him it doesn't matter where the pt is
its how long they spend
where can i find verbiage for this

You are correct that it doesn't matter where the patient is. But it's not only based on how long they spend. It is the registration status of the patient, not the actual physical location of the patient that matters. The patient is inpatient once someone issues the order to be admitted.

And from NGS (my MAC): E/M FAQ for Emergency Department:
Please clarify appropriate billing for patients who have been admitted to a psychiatric service, but now in an extended ED stay, awaiting a bed.
Answer:
If the patient has been formally admitted to inpatient status (POS 21) and is waiting in the ED for psychiatric bed assignment, physician services are billed with inpatient E/M codes (99221-99223, 99231-99233). If the patient remains in outpatient status (POS 22), an order for observation will allow the primary care physician to bill for services using the observation codes (99218-99220, 99224-99226). Care by consultative providers can be billed using outpatient E/M codes (99201-99205, 99211-99215). Revised 1/27/2022