Wiki help me understand my error on this coding problem

Best answers
I'll try to explain this coding problem and my error (the one I'm still pondering, anyway) without publishing the text of the question or the rationale. I hope that's enough information.

The pt's breast tissue expanders got infected; the postoperative diagnosis stated cellulitis. My error was that I submitted an N61.0 for cellulitis of the breast, and the answer stated that the correct code was for complications of a breast implant. There was no code for any kind of cellulitis in the answer. I guess I should have looked beyond the cellulitis, and didn't. I paid too much attention to what the postoperative diagnosis said and not enough to the Indications. Didn't ask myself why there was cellulitis. Am I right?

Last edited:
Every surgical procedure has an accepted and weighted percentage of risk of complications in the postoperative period, so it should be indicated first: procedure XXX complicated with XXX and then secondly name the complication or complications with their respective coding that can justify before the insurance, the claim according to the medical necessity expressed in the E/M