Wiki Hospital Discharge with no exam

Best answers
I have a claim billed as 99238. Insurance denied it saying to review the coding procedure. After looking through documentation, I see that there's no exam listed. The provider does list previous visits during admission and he gives instructions for after discharge. Can anyone help me with this? I've tried researching and haven't been able to come up with much.

Hospital Discharge Day Management (99238-99239) is a face to face service.

Here is Medicare info: Policy: The Medicare physician fee schedule payment for surgical procedures includes all the services and visits that are part of the global surgery payment including when such surgical procedures may be fragmented. Subsequent Hospital Care visits (CPT codes 99231 – 99233) are not separately payable when included in the global surgery payment. The Hospital Discharge Day Management Service (CPT code 99238 or 99239) is a face-to-face evaluation and management (E/M) service with the patient and his/her attending physician. Physicians shall use the Observation or Inpatient Care Services (Including Admission and Discharge Services) using a code from CPT code range 99234 – 99236 for a hospital admission and discharge occurring on the same calendar date and when specific Medicare criteria, identified in §30.6.9.1, are met. The American Medical Association Current Procedural Terminology (CPT) codes 99238 and 99239 shall be paid only when they are performed face-to-face with the patient. Other physicians who manage the patient’s care (concurrent care) in addition to an attending physician, and who are not acting on behalf of the attending physician shall use the Subsequent Hospital Care codes from CPT code range CPT 99231 – 99233 for a final visit with the patient. Medicare includes payment for general paperwork through the pre-and post-service work of E/M services. The physician who personally performs a patient pronouncement of death shall bill for the face-to-face Hospital Discharge Day Management Service using CPT code 99238 or 99239. The date of death pronouncement shall reflect the calendar date of actual death pronouncement even if the paperwork is delayed to a subsequent calendar date.