Wiki Hypertension vs. Hypertensive heart disease...

delmore36

New
Best answers
I attended a webinar on hypertension and the speaker/coder stated that Hypertension should be coded as hypertensive heart disease with or without heart failure. I was doing some research and I found that only if a patient has heart problems would you code from I11._

Can anyone attest to using I10 vs I11?

I attended a webinar on hypertension and the speaker/coder stated that Hypertension should be coded as hypertensive heart disease with or without heart failure. I was doing some research and I found that only if a patient has heart problems would you code from I11._

Did the speaker explain what they were saying here or offer any more detail? This doesn't make any sense, unless I'm misunderstand what you're saying or what they meant. Hypertensive heart disease is a complication of hypertension but they're definitely not the same thing. If there's no heart disease or heart failure or other complication documented, you can't code hypertension as anything other than I10. Hypertension by itself is just hypertension, it's not heart disease and isn't coded as heart disease.

Hypertensive heart disease is a complication of hypertension. You cannot code hypertension as I11 if it simply hypertension. As mentioned above, it cannot be coded as anything other than what it is. If patient does in fact have hypertensive heart disease, then yes. But in this case they are two different things, therefore it would need to be coded as I10.

Hi Delmore
Per the ICD10 manual states Hypertensive heart disease can come from CHKD dx N18 or Cardiac Heart conditions with dx block I50-I51. Thus if patient has heart condition and hypertension per providers documentation do not just put dx I10 and dx I50 add the dx I11 instead of I10. Also if the patient has pacemaker or stents add the dx Z96 at end of claim if provider has it in notes.
I hope this data helps you.🙂
Lady T