Wiki I cannot find what I did wrong

Mrsrpc

Guru
Best answers
According to the LCD, how is an extracapsular cataract surgery with insertion of an intraocular lens for a drug induced cataract in the left eye reported?
A. 66984, H26.32, T38.0X5A
B. 66983, H26.32
C. 66983, H26.222
D. 66984, H26.222, H40.1423
The CPT® and ICD-10-CM guidelines are covered codes according to the LCD. In the Utilization Guidelines, you are directed to report the underlying condition first when H26.222 is reported and to report the causative agent secondarily when reporting H26.32. I don't see how I could have known to Choose A since it does not mention at all what kind of drug caused the cataract. My answer (wrong) was C. Should I have guessed A since it is the only one that has any kind of chemical that could induce the cataract?

According to the LCD, how is an extracapsular cataract surgery with insertion of an intraocular lens for a drug induced cataract in the left eye reported?
A. 66984, H26.32, T38.0X5A
B. 66983, H26.32
C. 66983, H26.222
D. 66984, H26.222, H40.1423
The CPT® and ICD-10-CM guidelines are covered codes according to the LCD. In the Utilization Guidelines, you are directed to report the underlying condition first when H26.222 is reported and to report the causative agent secondarily when reporting H26.32. I don't see how I could have known to Choose A since it does not mention at all what kind of drug caused the cataract. My answer (wrong) was C. Should I have guessed A since it is the only one that has any kind of chemical that could induce the cataract?

This is how I'd approach the question...

B and C cannot be correct. CPT 66983 is Intracapsular cataract surgery - the patient had Extracapsular surgery.

That narrows it down to either A or D.

D is not correct, because H26.222 is a cataract secondary to ocular disorders. The patient has a drug-induced cataract which indexes to H26.3-

We're left with A, the only answer that could be correct. It has the correct procedure and the correct code for drug-induced cataracts.

Unless there was more detail to the question other than what you posted. it sounds like it's just asking which scenario would be a correct way to bill under the LCD (as opposed to a full detailed note for a specific patient, which would normally mention the drug involved).

A is the only scenario presented that could be accurate.