Wiki Icd-10 i69.090

Best answers
Need clarification ICD guidelines states codes from I69 may be assigned on a health care record with codes from I60-I67, if the patient has a current cerebrovascular disease and deficits from an old cerebrovascular disease. My question is it required to code from I60-I67, and if so, how should it be reported. I69 primary and I60-I67 secondary? The patient is 2 years post and has deficits, I was coding history of and I69.090. Thanks for any help.

If the patient has no deficits from a stroke and no current acute stroke then code only the Z86.73. If the patient has no current stroke and deficits from a previous stroke code only the I69 code ( note the excludes 1 note with the Z86.73). If the patient has a current stroke and residual deficits from a previous stroke then code the appropriate code for the current stroke, I60-I67; AND code for the deficits that remains from the previous stroke, using the I60-I67 code first listed and the I69 secondary.
You would code the Z86.73 with the I69 code ONLY if the patient has a record of a previous stroke with no reported deficit followed by a stroke with current deficit. However the exclude 1 note will likely cause this to deny but would be appealed with documentation.