Wiki Medical Team Conference Help please

Best answers
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am looking at documentation from my inpatient rehab physician that billed a higher level visit on the day before discharge due to having a medical team conference on that day.

There are codes for the team conferences however the codes are for use either by non-physician or if the patient is not present at the team conference 99366-99368.

The documentation indicates the patient was present during the team conference. According to the CPT guidelines Physicians who may report e/m services should report their time spent in a team conference with the patient and or family member present using e/m codes.

HOW EVER two paragraph's down the statement is made - Time reported for medical team conferences may not be used in determination of time for other services such as care plan over sight, psychotherapy, or and e/m service.

It goes on to state that if the patient/family member is present for any part of the team conference no physician qualified health care professionals report the team conference face to face 99366.

My director and I are trying to determine if the statement about not reporting time for e/m is referring to the physician or not. If it is then the guidelines seem to contradict themselves.

Any help with clarification would be greatly appreciated!!
:confused:

Last edited: