Wiki Need guidelines on this

deltaluv

Contributor
Best answers
My department is split with this coding case . Can I bill O2342 and N390 together?

Hi Deltaluv😌
I would not bill these 2 dx together because it is kind of repetitious. But I would add dx. B95-B96 per the ICD10 manual instructions for either of these dx codes you decide on if you are not given the exact bacteria that caused the UTI infection. If you do have the exact bacteria use that code (look up in ICD10manual) with dx O23.42 since the patient is pregnant. Are you going to add one of the dx Z3A depicting her exact gestation week of pregnancy?
Did I help you? I hope so
Lady T:)

Yes, I was thinking that too but 3m maps out coding O2342 and N390 together. I was puzzled by their logic.

Yes, I was thinking that too but 3m maps out coding O2342 and N390 together. I was puzzled by their logic.
There's an excludes1 notes under the N30-N39 section in ICD-10 that instructs not to use these codes for urinary infections in pregnancy, so I can't think of any situation in which these codes would be used together. I'm using an older version 3M and it flags me when I try to code these both at the same time. I'm not sure why your 3M wouldn't do the same - maybe it's a glitch in the version you have - you might send them an inquiry to find out.

There's an excludes1 notes under the N30-N39 section in ICD-10 that instructs not to use these codes for urinary infections in pregnancy, so I can't think of any situation in which these codes would be used together. I'm using an older version 3M and it flags me when I try to code these both at the same time. I'm not sure why your 3M wouldn't do the same - maybe it's a glitch in the version you have - you might send them an inquiry to find out.
While I still wouldn't use them together in this situation, in the current ICD -10 book, the excludes1 has been changed to excludes2.

I get the same as Cmama12, it excludes it...see below.

Diseases of the genitourinary system (N00-N99)

Excludes2:
certain conditions originating in the perinatal period (P04-P96)
certain infectious and parasitic diseases (A00-B99)
complications of pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium (O00-O9A)

While I still wouldn't use them together in this situation, in the current ICD -10 book, the excludes1 has been changed to excludes2.
You're correct, it's been changed to Excludes2 since the version I was referencing. In order to assign both codes, these would need to represent two separate conditions - in other words two distinct infections, one related to the pregnancy and one not. I never seen and can't imagine such a scenario.

You're correct, it's been changed to Excludes2 since the version I was referencing. In order to assign both codes, these would need to represent two separate conditions - in other words two distinct infections, one related to the pregnancy and one not. I never seen and can't imagine such a scenario.
Thanks everyone for your input.

@thomas7331 Can you give an example ?