Wiki Secondary Diagnosis codes

TThivierge

True Blue
Best answers
Hello
I am wondering when you would assign the diagnosis worded as "Secondary" diagnosis codes such as E85.3, I27.29, and I15. Check those out in your ICD10 manual. Would you assign these when the physician states in his documentation this is a secondary medical concern or when it is listed as 2nd dx on the lineup of dx. assessments on the med record?
Any input be appreciated!

'Secondary' in medical terminology means caused by or a consequence of another disease - it does not mean that the concern is secondary or that the diagnosis is 2nd on the list. So, for example, the difference between primary and secondary pulmonary hypertension is that primary pulmonary hypertension did not result as a complication of another condition.

As with any other medical term, you should not code a condition as secondary unless the provider has documented it as such, or unless the alphabetic index directs you to it from the wording that the provider has documented.

'Secondary' in medical terminology means caused by or a consequence of another disease - it does not mean that the concern is secondary or that the diagnosis is 2nd on the list. So, for example, the difference between primary and secondary pulmonary hypertension is that primary pulmonary hypertension did not result as a complication of another condition.

As with any other medical term, you should not code a condition as secondary unless the provider has documented it as such, or unless the alphabetic index directs you to it from the wording that the provider has documented.
Thank you!!!