Wiki Spine Surgery Reference

Hello

The AANS in their marketplace has a great (in my opinion) book called 2017 AANS Guide to Coding: Mastering the global service package for neurological surgery services. This book does contain coding information on both spinal and cranial and provides hints and tips plus what is and isn't included in the global package.
Medtronic also offers free (also get CEUs) spinal webinars on spinal coding which is also very helpful. Here is that link:
http://www.medtronic.com/us-en/heal...rthopaedic/reimbursement/spine-academy.html#2

I hope you find this helpful,
Amanda

I 2nd the recommendation for the AANS Coding book published by KZA. Keep in mind when using reference material from the manufacturers that they are not always following CPT guidelines or any carrier guidelines. Always cross reference the coding they give you. Case in point being the Coflex devise coding that initially went out an no one got paid for.

Coflex

Excellent point, Sara.
I've contacted manufacturer's myself (I'm an auditor for a large payer) and received information from them that I don't agree with/inaccurate from a coding perspective.
The Coflex is something I'm looking at right this second, so it's funny you mentioned that above. I have a claim I'm looking at where the physician didn't bill us at all for it and I'm not sure how that should be coded/paid. Was there ever any finality to a code? Unlisted? (22899?) I read multiple other policies on this (Regence, for example) and I don't see a form stance either way anywhere.

Excellent point, Sara.
I've contacted manufacturer's myself (I'm an auditor for a large payer) and received information from them that I don't agree with/inaccurate from a coding perspective.
The Coflex is something I'm looking at right this second, so it's funny you mentioned that above. I have a claim I'm looking at where the physician didn't bill us at all for it and I'm not sure how that should be coded/paid. Was there ever any finality to a code? Unlisted? (22899?) I read multiple other policies on this (Regence, for example) and I don't see a form stance either way anywhere.

This is a 2017 claim? I did a power point with AANS and they indicated the 2017 new codes 22867/22868, or 22869/22870 for interlaminar/interspinous process stabilization/distraction device with/without decompression. When I met with the rep last year he was pointing to 22840 in addition to 63047 because it was only indicated for use between 1 interspace with the decompression. My providers weren't sold so we never had to deal with the logistics of it.

Hello

The AANS in their marketplace has a great (in my opinion) book called 2017 AANS Guide to Coding: Mastering the global service package for neurological surgery services. This book does contain coding information on both spinal and cranial and provides hints and tips plus what is and isn't included in the global package.
Medtronic also offers free (also get CEUs) spinal webinars on spinal coding which is also very helpful. Here is that link:
http://www.medtronic.com/us-en/heal...rthopaedic/reimbursement/spine-academy.html#2

I hope you find this helpful,
Amanda

thank you so much Amanda!!