Wiki Suction D&C with limited ultrasound

mllivers

Networker
Best answers
Hi,

So our provider had to do a suction D&C for a twin gestation at 8 weeks and he also did an ultrasound to confirm, he wants me to bill 59820 with 76816-51 but I don't think that is the right modifier. Can someone help if I should use 51 or not?

Hi,

So our provider had to do a suction D&C for a twin gestation at 8 weeks and he also did an ultrasound to confirm, he wants me to bill 59820 with 76816-51 but I don't think that is the right modifier. Can someone help if I should use 51 or not?
76816 would not be the correct code unless he was evaluating a fetus. You seem to be indicating that the did the ultrasound to be sure that all contents had been removed. This would be intraoperative ultrasound and the correct code would be 76998. No modifier is needed.

76816 would not be the correct code unless he was evaluating a fetus. You seem to be indicating that the did the ultrasound to be sure that all contents had been removed. This would be intraoperative ultrasound and the correct code would be 76998. No modifier is needed.
So they did a repeat ultrasound to confirm that it was a missed AB not to be sure they got everything out. Would I still need to put the 76816 or would that be on the hospital side? (I'm coding only for doctor)