Wiki Trigger Point Denials

Trudy Q

Contributor
Best answers
I have been billing trigger point injections for 18 years 20552 & 20553 recently starting the middle of June BCBS is denying them for lack of other procedure. Their explanation is no J code however the Dr is injecting a solution of lidocaine and marcaine for which there is no J code It was deleted in 2005 as integral to the procedure. Has anyone having this problem or does anyone know of an update I have missed?

Use this:
J2001 is a valid 2019 HCPCS code for Injection, lidocaine hcl for intravenous infusion, 10 mg or just “Lidocaine injection” for short, used in Medical care.

Use this:
J2001 is a valid 2019 HCPCS code for Injection, lidocaine hcl for intravenous infusion, 10 mg or just “Lidocaine injection” for short, used in Medical care.

Even if its not being used for infusion? I do a lot of take backs (I'm not BCBCS though) for J2001 and J1390 (when NDC is one of the "-caines") billed with injection codes.

Encoder pro states: Report J2001 for the intravenous infusion of lidocaine.

Last edited:
I have been billing trigger point injections for 18 years 20552 & 20553 recently starting the middle of June BCBS is denying them for lack of other procedure. Their explanation is no J code however the Dr is injecting a solution of lidocaine and marcaine for which there is no J code It was deleted in 2005 as integral to the procedure. Has anyone having this problem or does anyone know of an update I have missed?
Trudy - We also perform many TPI's in our practice and can't get to the bottom of the denials. Even billing with J2001 as suggested still results in the B15 rejections. I am trying to get info from my BC rep.