Wiki Using Chronic Diseases as the Principal Diagnosis for an Inpatient Encounter

Best answers
Hello,
Wondering if someone could please educate me on the topic of using chronic diseases as the principal diagnosis for an inpatient encounter, and examples of where you think this could be appropriate. An obvious example when not to use the chronic condition would be in a patient admitted for acute kidney injury who has a history of chronic kidney disease, or an acute COPD exacerbation in a patient with known COPD, or admission for acute heart failure in a patient with known chronic heart failure.

There was a practical examination question during my studies for the CIC exam; Chapter 14 Question 5, the patient's complaint was abdominal pain, cramping, nausea and vomiting and chronic pancreatitis K86.1 was assigned as the principal diagnosis. Using a chronic condition, even in this circumstance, seems unusual, but plausible.

Can someone please provide examples of when a chronic condition would be appropriate as the principal diagnosis. Based upon most ICD-10-CM Official Guidelines for Coding and Reporting, this would be a highly unusual circumstance, but believe it could occur and just trying to better understand when this would be allowed.
Thank you.

Last edited:
We have a lot of fibromyalgia patients with no other dx than that.
Thank you so much.
Are these patients getting admitted to the hospital for pain control? Seems like an uncommon condition for hospital admission as opposed to being treated in the outpatient setting? I clarified the question to reflect an inpatient encounter.

Last edited: