Wiki Using Dx code Z3a.xx as priamry dx code

VickiS

Networker
Best answers
Can you use dx code Z3A.xx as primary or only dx code on patients pap smear or viral screenings sent from office? This is the code they are using alot lately and if this code needs a primary dx (ICD10 CM states that there is a code first flag) but only for codes O09-O9a?

I believe you would, example would be Z34.01, zZ3a.11. But the clinic that send our lab the specimen only puts a Z3A.xx code for weeks of pregnancy, I need info on coding guidelines when using this code or when not to use as primary or only code.

I believe you would, example would be Z34.01, zZ3a.11. But the clinic that send our lab the specimen only puts a Z3A.xx code for weeks of pregnancy, I need info on coding guidelines when using this code or when not to use as primary or only code.
Oh, do you work at a lab and that is the dx the office is sending with the specimens? My ICD10 book says that you can't use it as a principal diagnosis. I would call that specific office and request they send new dx codes over for each specimen.

The ICD-10-CM Guidelines Section 21.c.11 also says that the Z3A.xx codes are to provide additional information about the pregnancy. I'd send the office a copy of the guidelines section, the instructional notes on the code and request they send an ABN (or equivalent) with every single order they submit with only that diagnosis since they know it's not covered. There is a reason beyond the weeks of pregnancy that they're requesting the test for and everyone knows it's not just because a patient is X weeks pregnant. Maybe once they know the patient will be responsible for the charge, they'll do the right thing.

Can you use dx code Z3A.xx as primary or only dx code on patients pap smear or viral screenings sent from office? This is the code they are using alot lately and if this code needs a primary dx (ICD10 CM states that there is a code first flag) but only for codes O09-O9a?
I was taught that insurance will deny any claim with only gestational dx...must have an "O" code or other "Z" code primary (such as Z36.89 for antenatal screening) and then Z3a.--