2013 ICD-9 Book
Diagnostic code set for hospitals and payer organizations
The ICD-9 code book Vol. 1,2 & 3 is field-tested by hospital coding and billing staff.
This resource has a host of great
features to help you code quickly and efficiently, comply with HIPAA, and reduce
Our expert edition 2013 ICD-9-CM for hospitals offers a comprehensive and user-friendly approach
to coding at a fraction of the price of other ICD-9 books. The new
design provides easy access to pertinent coding and reimbursement information with
informative symbols and color coding. Coders at every level will benefit from features
that are customized to meet your needs.
2013 ICD-9 books are now shipping.
Look inside this book: view sample pages.
Key Features and Benefits:
- Highlighted coding instructional informational notes. Recognize important
code usage guidance for specific sections more easily with highlighted notes.
- Symbols identify MCC and CC conditions. Ensure appropriate reimbursement
by reporting patient severity correctly. Know when conditions are considered a complication
or comorbidity, as well as which are major CCs that impact MS-DRG assignment.
- Hospital-acquired condition (HAC) alerts. Know which conditions,
when not present upon admission, will not impact DRG assignment.
- Adjunct procedure code alert. Learn how to properly use ICD-9-CM
procedure codes that provide additional information only and cannot be used alone
- Coding instructional note alerts. Avoid missing important ICD-9-CM
coding instruction critical to accurate coding.
- MCC and CC codes paired with principal diagnosis exclusions. Identify
at a glance if the assigned complication or comorbidity code will impact MS-DRG assignment
based on the established principal diagnosis (PDx).
- HIV major related diagnosis code alert. Understand when a diagnosis
entered as a secondary diagnosis with HIV will group the case to a higher paying MS-DRG
974-976 for improved reimbursement.
- Additional digit required symbols. Know when an additional
fourth or fifth digit is required for code specificity and validity to avoid invalid
code submissions (provided in Index and Tabular Section).
- Wrong surgery edit. Spot cases in which the wrong surgery was performed
and are then exempt from reimbursement.
- Diagnosis Medicare Code Edit (MCE) alerts. Color-coding and
symbols identify all major Medicare Code Edits (MCE) used to audit claims submitted
under the inpatient prospective payment system (IPPS) for diagnosis, including unacceptable
PDx, questionable admission PDx, age, sex, CC and MCC, and manifestation codes.
- Procedure Medicare Code Edit (MCE) alerts. Improve claim accuracy
with alerts to all major Medicare edits pertaining to procedures—valid OR procedures,
non-covered, limited coverage, non-operating room procedures affecting DRG assignment,
bilateral edits, and sex edits.
- Intuitive color-coded symbols and alerts. Identify critical coding
and reimbursement issues quickly with alerts on the same page as the code you need.
- New and revised code alerts with dated pages. Know which codes and
instructions are new or revised, with dates on the page indicating when the change
- Synopsis of code changes. Perform accurate retrospective claim audits
with new code information for the year.
- Hallmark page design and features. Locate information quickly with
a user-friendly page design, including dictionary-style headers, Quickflip™ color
bleed tabs, and legend keys.
- HIPAA compliance. Comply with HIPAA code set requirements to avoid delayed
or denied claims and costly fines for violations.
- ICD-10 Spotlight. Preview ICD-10 codes with the most frequently
reported ICD-9-CM codes to learn as you work.
- AHA’s Coding Clinic and official coding guideline tips. Use
citations to link to the official coding advice every coder in every health care setting
must follow for ICD-9-CM and find official coding tips with the codes.
- Illustrations and definitions. Gain in-depth understanding of anatomy
and disease processes in relation to coding with clinically-oriented definitions and
- Spiral binding - lays flat for easy-to-use coding