Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 04:13 PM
New

Pattiann Young Minnick is on a distinguished road
Default Knee injection while in a global period

Can anybody direct me to some information regarding not billing for an injection while in the post op period if the need for injection is related to the surgery? Thnaks
Old 09-15-2010, 08:10 AM
True Blue

fredabrinson is on a distinguished road
Default Confused by the question

I don't agree that a medical necessary injection (or any other procedure) would not be billable even in a global period. Perhaps I am misunderstanding your question.

A hospital is not allowed to bill for routine injections or medications related to a surgery during the performance of or recovery from the surgery, but this is different than a global period.

I'm sure you are familiar with the modifiers available to describe services rendered during periods that may or may not be related to a surgery (58, 76, 77, 78, 79).

Again, I think I am confused by your question so my post could be totally unrelated to your situation, and I do apologize if that's the case.
Past Member AAPCCA Board of Directors (2009-2012)
brinsonfr@sjchs.org