Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Cardiovascular Thoracic
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-30-2012, 09:27 AM
New

m_darling is on a distinguished road
Default Vein Harvesting

Our cardiovascular surgeons are having our PA's perform the vein harvesting at the time of bypass surgery. How are practices billing Medicare for codes 33508 and 35572 when the PA is doing the harvesting? Medicare is denying for 'Provider not licensed/credentialled to preform/bill that procedure'.

Thank you in advance for thoughts on this.
Old 03-30-2012, 10:17 AM
True Blue

jewlz0879 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_darling View Post
Our cardiovascular surgeons are having our PA's perform the vein harvesting at the time of bypass surgery. How are practices billing Medicare for codes 33508 and 35572 when the PA is doing the harvesting? Medicare is denying for 'Provider not licensed/credentialled to preform/bill that procedure'.

Thank you in advance for thoughts on this.
Medicare will reimburse 33508 when used with CPT codes 33510-33523, however, the report must state, "saphenous vein was endoscopically harvested," otherwise it's not billable. Your PA can't bill for the 33508; it could be billed with a cosurgeon using -62 but not for your PA. When the PA or FA does the harvest still bill for it under the surgeon's charges - as long as documentation guidelines are met. I'm in Texas and we get $17.01 after billing $53.

My physicians do not utilize 33572 so I cannot speak for that one.

HTH!

Last edited by jewlz0879; 03-30-2012 at 10:21 AM.
Old 04-11-2012, 10:49 AM
Contributor

LeslieTapia is on a distinguished road
Default vein harvesting 33508

I only bill 33508 and it gets paid. You may bill this code for the surgeon and the assistants.
Old 05-04-2012, 09:04 AM
New

m_darling is on a distinguished road

Thank you both for your responses.... We have a follow up question and it is as follows:

If the primary surgeon is present & supervises the assistant surgeon during the vein harvesting, can we bill this code with a supervising provider on the claim?

Thanks again for any help with this matter!
Melissa
Old 05-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Contributor

emoates is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_darling View Post
Thank you both for your responses.... We have a follow up question and it is as follows:

If the primary surgeon is present & supervises the assistant surgeon during the vein harvesting, can we bill this code with a supervising provider on the claim?

Thanks again for any help with this matter!
Melissa
When you bill the 33508 it is just for the technique used, not for who is performing the procedure. I bill it out with my surgeon's charges and have had no more issues with reimbursement.

Erin