Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > OB/GYN
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:33 PM
kobusk kobusk is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
kobusk is on a distinguished road
Default fetal demise

Hi all. One of our MD's performed a vaginal delivery @ 17wks for a pt due to fetal demise. How should we code for this & for the prenatal visits? I believe there were 9 antepartum visits. Thanks, any help is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 12-08-2008, 01:58 PM
aschaeve aschaeve is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 104
aschaeve is on a distinguished road
Default Fetal Demise

One of the coder's that I work with submitted this question to The American College Of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. We received a two page response from them. I would be willing to fax you a copy of this, if you could provide me with your fax number.

Alicia, CPC
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-08-2008, 02:46 PM
kobusk kobusk is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
kobusk is on a distinguished road
Default

thanks Alicia - it's 650-812-3656
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-08-2008, 03:42 PM
aschaeve aschaeve is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 104
aschaeve is on a distinguished road
Default Fetal Demise

I tried faxing twice to the fax number provided and I got a busy response both times. Just wondering if something is wrong with your fax machine.

Alicia, CPC
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-08-2008, 03:56 PM
kobusk kobusk is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 5
kobusk is on a distinguished road
Default

i just tried it & it worked for me - maybe you just have great timing
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-09-2008, 03:46 PM
Beany011178 Beany011178 is offline
Networker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 63
Beany011178 is on a distinguished road
Default

Would you fax that to me please.

Jill
217-223-9172

Thank you!!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 12-12-2008, 04:22 PM
amsmith22 amsmith22 is offline
Networker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: ohio
Posts: 47
amsmith22 is on a distinguished road
Default

ACOG states that anything under 20 weeks is not billable as a delivery.
You should bill the admission and discharge and any other associated e&m for the hospital stay.

the pre-natal visits get billed based on number of visit
1-3 use the appropriate out pt e&m code
4-6 59425
7+ 59426
post partum 59430

if the doctor spent extra time at bedside and has the documentation to support, you can bill prolonged services

also, if he/she documents manual delivery of the placenta you can bill for that as well 59414

does anyone have anything to add?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-03-2009, 09:42 AM
LOVE2CODE LOVE2CODE is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 323
LOVE2CODE is on a distinguished road
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsmith22 View Post
ACOG states that anything under 20 weeks is not billable as a delivery.
You should bill the admission and discharge and any other associated e&m for the hospital stay.

the pre-natal visits get billed based on number of visit
1-3 use the appropriate out pt e&m code
4-6 59425
7+ 59426
post partum 59430

if the doctor spent extra time at bedside and has the documentation to support, you can bill prolonged services

also, if he/she documents manual delivery of the placenta you can bill for that as well 59414

does anyone have anything to add?
What dx code would you use for cpt 59414?
__________________
Yolanda T. Haskins CPC, CMCO
AAPCCA Board of Directors 2014-2017
Region 2- Atlantic DE, MD, NJ, PA, DC


Past President 2012 ~ 2013 Alexandria, VA Chapter
Past Member Development Officer 2010 ~ 2011 Alexandria, VA Chapter


~ Practice Kindness ~
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-03-2009, 10:17 PM
bigredcag bigredcag is offline
Networker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Cherry Hill, NJ
Posts: 92
bigredcag is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aschaeve View Post
One of the coder's that I work with submitted this question to The American College Of Obstetricians & Gynecologists. We received a two page response from them. I would be willing to fax you a copy of this, if you could provide me with your fax number.

Alicia, CPC
Please please fax me the info i appreciate it.i want to make sure i am coding it correctly too.
attn Chris G
fx 931-245-7069



we have been using code 59855/59856 if a vaginal suppoositories is used. Since no surgical intervention was done. Yes, we get denied but upon appeal with a copy fo the desk definition of the code and supporting hospital documentation we have gotten them paid since it is a theraputic AB NOT elective etc.. we bill the ante seperatly.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
jbblgagnon jbblgagnon is offline
Contributor
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 15
jbblgagnon is on a distinguished road
Default Can I also have a copy of that?

Fax # is 1-740-376-7527

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobeast View Post
i just tried it & it worked for me - maybe you just have great timing
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




Disclaimer: Although AAPC staff members will monitor these forums periodically, we cannot be responsible for the information posted herein, nor guarantee its accuracy. Our members may discuss various subjects related to medical coding, but none of the information should replace the independent judgment of a physician for any given health issue. Please note that the opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of AAPC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:47 AM.

AAPC - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2014, AAPC