Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Employment > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-01-2009, 03:53 PM
New

imaginethis1 is on a distinguished road
Talking Have you taken the CCS Exam?

I currently have a CPC-H certification which is not opening up any doors for me. I am thinking about taking the CCS. Has anyone taken the exam. I know the AHIMA exams are hard. I have a study guide for the CCS-P but I feel more comfortable with inpatient coding. So, I think. LOL!!

I just want to know if the following are required:

Revenue Codes
Bill Types
DRG assignments

Can anyone recommend any free quiz sites also? I am ordering the Clinical Coding Workout? But are there any other case test sites or books?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-02-2009, 11:59 AM
Networker

neatmon is on a distinguished road

I am currently a CPC, and I am preparing to sit for the CCS exam. I have ordered a study guide from an EBay site which is supposed to have sample exam questions in it. Lots of study guides out there, have you checked with other local hospital coders?
Old 04-02-2009, 12:10 PM
Guru

mad_one80 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaginethis1 View Post
I currently have a CPC-H certification which is not opening up any doors for me. I am thinking about taking the CCS. Has anyone taken the exam. I know the AHIMA exams are hard. I have a study guide for the CCS-P but I feel more comfortable with inpatient coding. So, I think. LOL!!

I just want to know if the following are required:

Revenue Codes
Bill Types
DRG assignments

Can anyone recommend any free quiz sites also? I am ordering the Clinical Coding Workout? But are there any other case test sites or books?

Thanks for your help.
yes, for sure they will quiz you on the REV codes and DRG assignments (plus much more!) also,
here's a free quiz site for the CCS....

http://health-information.advanceweb.com/

scroll down towards the middle...where it says..."CCS PREP"...click on it and there are outlines/guidelines summaries for various sections of the cpt book with sample Q/A to prepare for CCS exam...this includes the Vol 3 (hospital)codes also!
Old 04-02-2009, 12:45 PM
New

Smile

Thanks for your help. I need to be prepared as much as possible for this exam. I usually call on Jesus too for extra guidance.
Old 04-02-2009, 10:34 PM
New

diamonddiva is on a distinguished road

I recently took and passed the CCS-P exam and I would recommend taking it. It does ask questions about revenue codes, POS and DRG's, plus detailed case studies. If you can code inpatient charges, thats a plus. It's two part test with a 10 minute break in between. The books are a very good way to study for the test. Having dual credentials is a plus plus

Good luck
Old 04-06-2009, 09:14 AM
Guru

ciphermed is on a distinguished road

The Professional Review Guide for the CCS examination (book) is a excellent resource to study for the CCS exam. If you already have coding experience and other coding certifications...this should be a good choice.

I used it and passed on the first try. The book comes with a CD that has timed practice exams...explanations and answers provided in the book and on the cd. The actual exam was very much like those provided in this book.

I got the book from Amazon..
Old 04-07-2009, 01:57 PM
Guru

em2177 is on a distinguished road

I have no inpatient coding experience. How difficult do you think this would be for me? Will the study guides teach me what I need to know, meaning would that be enough to sit for the exam?
Thanks,
Old 04-09-2009, 01:18 PM
New

mwoulfe is on a distinguished road

I recently passed the CCS exam and can say it is much tougher than the CPC. I recommend joining AHIMA and using the information on their website, including a forum just for persons studying for the CCS, as well as lots of articles, briefs, etc. The Clinical Coding Workbook is an excellent resource. I also used The CCS Review Guide by Jennifer Garvin. These books are available on the AHIMA website, whether a member or not. The CCS required a lot more knowledge of pathophysiology, pharmacology, DRG's, POA, etc. I do not have any inpatient coding experience, though, so it is possible to succeed without experience. Good Luck!
Old 05-17-2009, 08:28 PM
New

Talking Not dual certified yet, but close!

Well, I tried for the CCS today. Didn't pass but it showed me what areas to work on. The Clinical study guides helped. But, I knew I would be weak on pharmacology and some compliance guidelines. Does anyone have a cheat sheet on types common drugs and associated diagnosis or are their any quiz sites. I was so stressed out about the test that you talk yourself out of passing. My score was 27/191 and I ran out of time. I didn't have time to read cases 9-13. I just go go gadget code! I wasn't expecting this score. I thought it would be lower. I knew after Part 1 was done I had failed. But I needed to see how I coded. I'm glad I gave it a try. Will retake in a few months. New scores will be required by then, but I hope their not too high! Lol! I needed to relax, relate and release! The test is very passable; I know see the lingo and format of the test. FYI. I felt like a criminal at the test site. I thought they would take my fingerprints too. Lmao
Old 05-18-2009, 12:25 PM
Networker

Alta is on a distinguished road
Smile Did you have many DRG and revenue ?s?

I think the best book for studying for the CCS is the Clinical Coding Workout. It has every kind of case in there to practice going through all the body systems, (outpatient and inpatient) then it has the explanations of why the answer is wrong or right in the back. It really gets you to use and look up the guidelines as you go along which are the basics you need to pass that exam. I had that, Carol Buck CCS Prep, and PRG. The PRG diskette is good for practicing the multiple choice part, but I found the cases part not so helpful. I don't think Carol Buck is very user friendly. The cases are extremely difficult and the CD will not give you any answers until you go through and take all the tests. It is very restrictive (frustrating) to a student trying to check themselves as they go along. If it is that tedious to check your answers, you tend to give up. But the front information in the book for studying for the multiple choice, I found to be good. After struggling with Carol Buck I went back to the basics: Studying the guidelines and doing the CCW cases. I did take the exam and passed. Everyone is different in what they need to study, that's just my observation! Good luck!

Now, tell me about passing the CPC. I want to do that next!

Last edited by Alta; 05-18-2009 at 12:28 PM.