Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Modifiers
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2009, 03:34 AM
Contributor

SoundarR is on a distinguished road
Default Modifier for two visits on same day

Hi,
Im working for NP's , i have a doubt in modifier.. If a patient is visiting two times on same day to different NP for two different reason means which modifier is suitable to bill both? i tried to bill it with 27 for one visit but medicare denies it.If it is same NP means we can use 25, please tell me what modifier for two unrelated visits on same day to two different NP's?

Please help me to sort out this problem...

Thanks,
Soundar
Old 11-05-2009, 06:20 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

First, the 27 modifier is for facility billing only.
Second, if your NPs are in the same specialty, then you will not be successful with trying to bill 2 visits on the same day. If you provide more information I might be able to give more help. Such as are both NOPs in same tax ID, and what was the dx for each encounter, and the need for 2 encounters on the same day.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
Old 11-05-2009, 06:22 AM
Networker

Location: Adirondack Chapter of Professional Coders, Glens Falls, NY
jhartung is on a distinguished road

I don't beleive there is a modifier, Medicare should pay both claims as long as there are two different doctors and two non-related diagnoses. I have had Medicare pay for same day claims under these circumstances.
Old 11-05-2009, 06:30 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

If the docs are in the same specialty in the same tax ID, I have never had any payer including Medicare pay for 2 visits even if dx is different. If different tax Id then fine, If different specialty, then fine. I think it depends on what type of circumstances she has.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Networker

gmitch02 is on a distinguished road

Have you looked at the 76 modifier for office visits
Old 11-05-2009, 06:35 AM
True Blue

You cannot use the 76 modifier on OV codes.

Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
True Blue

RebeccaWoodward* will become famous soon enough

I'm with Debra on this....

Physicians in the same group practice who are in the same specialty must bill and be paid as though they were a single physician. If more than one evaluation and management (face-to-face) service is provided on the same day to the same patient by the same physician or more than one physician in the same specialty in the same group, only one evaluation and management service may be reported unless the evaluation and management services are for unrelated problems. Instead of billing separately, the physicians should select a level of service representative of the combined visits and submit the appropriate code for that level

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/manuals/downloads/clm104c12.pdf

Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Networker

gmitch02 is on a distinguished road

The reason I ask - in the Medicare E&M Services Part B published Sept 2009, under the heading Physicians in Group Practice..... it states If more than 1 E/M service provided on the same day by the same physician or more than one physician in the same specialty or group for unrelated problems you can use the 76 modifier. Hope this helps
Old 11-05-2009, 06:54 AM
True Blue

RebeccaWoodward* will become famous soon enough

Can you provide this link? The guidance I provided comes straight from CMS...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:57 AM
True Blue

I am with Rebecca, Thank You for the reference, I was looking thru my database for the same one you posted. The 76 modifier is not for use on E&Ms and does not make sense, for if the patient returns on the same day for an unrelated issue then it would not be a repeated service. I too would love to be able to see this from CMS.