Coding Supervisor - North Clinic, Robbinsdale, MN
Human Resources Manager
North Clinic - Job Description
Job Title: Coding Supervisor
Department: Business Office
Position Summary: Works with all providers of North Clinic to ensure proper coding of services rendered as well as in all areas of compliance.
Business Office Manager
Coding and Charge Entry Department
80 1 Full-Time
Education/ Qualifications: 1. High school diploma
2. Completion of a coding program or equivalent experience
3. Certification from AHIMA or AAPC required
4. Bachelorís degree preferred, but not required
Knowledge/ Skills/Abilities: 1. Prior supervisory experience required
2. Must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office products
3. Must keep coding certification current by managing the requirements for continuing education
4. Ability to effectively communicate and work efficiently with manager, administration, physicians, patients and staff
5. Ability to analyze methods to effectively organize work, make improvements and correct problems
Equipment Used: Computer keyboard and monitor, calculator, writing utensils, telephone, copy machine, fax machine, current ICD-9, CPT, HCPCS and Encoder.
(This list may not include all of the duties assigned.)
1. Monitors the coding workflow and processes for North Clinic, ensuring that the documentation and coding adhere to all governmental and other regulations.
2. Performs regular chart reviews as determined by North Clinic policy with feedback and education provided to the providers. Provides feedback to the Business Office Manager.
3. Performs regular Quality Assurance of the billing processes by reviewing charges, payments and adjustments entered into the practice management system for accuracy. Reports findings to the Business Office Manager for discussion and resolution.
4. Reviews existing billing processes and work flows. Reassigns duties as necessary.
5. Serves on the Coding and Compliance Committee of North Clinic and performs compliance monitoring as defined by that committee.
6. Maintains current CPT, HCPCS, ICD-9, Encoder, and other necessary coding materials and publications.
7. Maintains appropriate audit forms related to compliance. Includes regular review and updates of charge tickets, chart forms (templates), Medicare ABN and insurance waivers and other forms that pertain to the medical record or coding.
8. Keeps abreast of all compliance, trade and coding publications using the appropriate sources (internet, seminars, etc). Disseminates information to appropriate staff within the practice in a timely fashion.
9. Conducts regular coding and compliance training for staff as appropriate.
10. Develops and conducts educational programs and tools for new and existing providers regarding coding and compliance.
11. Assists in publishing a coding and compliance newsletter for North Clinic.
12. Monitors input of charge tickets to achieve the target goal of 48 hours turn-around from date of service to charge entry.
13. Directs the coders in assisting Insurance Specialists in answering patient questions regarding coding, and reviews coding as needed.
14. Works in conjunction with the Business Office Manager to review and evaluate documentation related to patient complaints and/or carrier rejections or denials.
15. Understands the basics of insurance policies, responds to the changing coding rules of different insurance companies and has knowledge of EOB/COB data.
16. Performs back-up duties within the coding department as needed.
Essential Functions (continued):
1. Serves as the contact for coding and charge entry staff.
2. Oversees training of new coding and charge entry staff.
3. Processes PTO requests from staff.
4. Monitors production, errors, and denials for coding staff.
5. Prepares educational information for coding and other staff as needed.
6. Conducts annual performance reviews for coding and charge entry staff.
7. Creates agenda for monthly coding meeting and prepares minutes for approval by Administration.
8. Attends various meetings and enhances professional development and growth on a regular basis.
9. Recommends revision and/or new departmental procedures.
10. Represents North Clinic in a professional manner related to appearance, communication and maintenance of patient confidentiality.
11. Supports the goals and objectives of North Clinic.
12. Performs other duties as assigned.
13. Serves as back-up to the Business Office Manager as needed.
1. Must be able to lift 5-10 lbs on a regular basis.
2. Requires sitting for long periods of time.
3. Some bending and stretching required.
4. Working under stress in a fast-paced environment.
(The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.)
1. Regular office environment.
2. Contact with providers, staff, patients, and business partners.
(The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.)