Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Diagnosis Coding
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2009, 05:51 PM
New

dawn1978 is on a distinguished road
Default V-codes

I am a student and we have just begun coding V-codes and I am having a difficult time finding how to get to the code in the alphabetic index, does anyone have any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2009, 05:56 PM
True Blue

kevbshields will become famous soon enough

There's a list somewhere I've seen before, but do not have handy.

These are the more common ones:

"Admission for"
"Aftercare of"
"Status"
"History of"
"Follow-up"

I do hope this helps a bit. If you're using the Ingenix version of ICD-9 (Expert), there should be a table of V-code categories behind the guidelines. This may help you to locate the proper code also.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
New

dawn1978 is on a distinguished road

"Ingenix version of ICD-9 (Expert), there should be a table of V-code categories behind the guidelines". I dont want to sound like a dummy but I have no idea what that even means. I'm looking at my book and it says "Standard Edition 2009 ICD-9-CM by Saunders" where are these guidelines you talked about? I'm getting a little worried that this school I chose is not going to get me very far in this coding stuff. Do you have any suggestions of courses that are offered thru AAPC that I could look into?
Old 08-18-2009, 09:21 PM
New

bspeights is on a distinguished road

I don't know if this helps you any,but if you look those words up Status, Admission of, Aftercare, etc... in the alphabetical listing in your ICD-9 book you will see that they give you v-code. Don't forget that you have to read the dr. note to get those keywords.

Just remember that the V in v- codes stands for preVentive. The patient does not have to have a injury or disease, or may just come in to prevent something from happening,then you need V-codes.

As far as your books, I think that they are ok. It depends on what your school is allowed to teach from.
Old 08-20-2009, 07:38 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

I disagree with the definition of V... as far as I know the V does not stand for anything. There are V codes for encounter for healing fractures, which is not preventive. Also chemotherapy admin is a V code which is not preventive, I can site numerous V codes that are valid for first listed position that are not preventive, I am not sure where you found that definition and I would be interested in the source. I just think that it conveys an incorrect outlook of V codes in general. For Dawn:
http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/datawh/ftpse...d9/ftpicd9.htm
That is the website which will give you access to the coding guidelines for correct reporting of ICD-9 you cannot have a better resource. Also I have never used the Saunders book , but I have always used the educational annotation version of Channel, check out their product at channelpublishing.com

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
Old 08-20-2009, 08:17 AM
Networker

jthweatt is on a distinguished road

I don't know where this list originated, but I have it noted in my book. Main terms for V codes: Admission, Aftercare, Attention to, Boarder, Care (of), Carrier, Checking, Contraception, Counseling, Dialysis, Donor, Encounter, Examination, Fitting of, Follow-up, Health, Healthy, History, Maintenance, Maladjustment, Observation, Problem, Procedure (surgical), Prophylactic, Replacement, Screening, Status, Supervison (of), Test, Transplant, Unavailabilty of medical facilities, Vaccination

Jerri