Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-2009, 09:45 AM
New

sgeroux is on a distinguished road
Default nerve conduction studies

CPT code 95903 - can someone tell me how they would bill the professional component of this to medicare? 95903 says each nerve, so in this case we are doing it on both left and right median and ulnar nerves. So two on each are two different nerves. thanks....
Old 08-21-2009, 11:33 AM
Networker

Mary Baierl is on a distinguished road
Default Mary Baierl, RHIT, CPC, CCA, CMT

95903 -26 is the professional component. For median and ulnar nerve on right and left, that equals four nerves. We just indicate 4 units of 95903 -26. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:39 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

I know a lot of folks do bill these with units, however this was the exact scenario I had when I learned that you should not bill with units, since Medicare denied the claim for units out of range. I had to do lots of reading and calling and it was the units that was cuasing the claim to deny. So it was rebilled as
95903 26
95903 59 26
95903 59 26
95903 59 26
billed in this manner the claim did pay. Just to add my opinion in.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
Old 08-21-2009, 12:20 PM
Networker

michellelgrd is on a distinguished road
Talking

medicare requires every code be on its own line it does not accept units, i learned this the hard way also
Old 08-24-2009, 11:43 AM
Contributor

mstroman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
I know a lot of folks do bill these with units, however this was the exact scenario I had when I learned that you should not bill with units, since Medicare denied the claim for units out of range. I had to do lots of reading and calling and it was the units that was cuasing the claim to deny. So it was rebilled as
95903 26
95903 59 26
95903 59 26
95903 59 26
billed in this manner the claim did pay. Just to add my opinion in.
Hello. I am starting to look at my department's billing of these services and from the CPT Assistant articles the billing was to be done as you stated, with no units but on seperate lines with modifiers. Thanks for the reassurance!