Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2009, 10:50 AM
Networker

EK226 is on a distinguished road
Default Is 99183 a time based code?

Hello,
I have a general question about 99183 "Physician attendance and supervision of hyperbaric oxygen therapy--Per Session". Is this a time based code? The supporting office notes do state 4 units at 30 min each, so I just wanted to verify if this is even a time based code?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Emily Kress, CPC
Old 09-14-2009, 11:06 AM
True Blue

LLovett is on a distinguished road

As far as I know it is not time based. It is actually listed on the medicare unlikely edits for units of 2.

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/mcd/viewncd.a...Oxygen+Therapy

The above is the NCD.

Laura, CPC, CEMC
Old 09-14-2009, 11:32 AM
Networker

Hello!
I just wanted to clarify---what does "not listed on the medicare unlikely edits for units of 2"? Does that mean only 2 units can be billed?

Thanks,
Emily Kress CPC
Old 09-14-2009, 11:49 AM
True Blue

RebeccaWoodward* will become famous soon enough

This is a per session code.....

Code 99183, Physician attendance and supervision of hyperbaric oxygen therapy, per session, is reported for physician attendance of each session of hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Any services and/or procedures provided in addition to the physician attendance and supervision (eg, E/M services, wound debridement) in the hyperbaric oxygen treatment facility, in conjunction with a hyperbaric oxygen therapy should be reported separately. Physician supervision requires that the physician is present and readily available for intervention. CPT coding guidelines does not specify per session in specific time increments.
Old 09-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Guru

nc_coder is on a distinguished road

It is not time based. I code for a Wound Care Center. This code is used per session. Many patients have to come in every other day to have the HBO treatment. It doesn't matter how long they are in the chamber. This code is only used once per session.
Old 09-14-2009, 01:58 PM
Networker

Hi Rebecca, thank you for the information I really appreciate it!

I wanted to ask you about the CPT guidelines though. Since it is a per session code, and time is not measured, is this referenced somewhere specifically in the CPT book? I have looked through the beginnning of the CPT book (pgs xiv-xvii) and even all through the Medicine section guidelines. I just wanted to make note of it in my book, but I wasn't sure what page it's on....

Thank you!
Emily Kress, CPC
Old 09-14-2009, 02:00 PM
Networker

Hi Jennifer,

thank you for the information you have provided as well, I appreciate it so much!

Emily Kress, CPC
Old 09-14-2009, 02:09 PM
True Blue

RebeccaWoodward* will become famous soon enough

You can find this in CPT Assistant (January 2003). These are articles that are created by the AMA. They contain a wealth of information and they are very instrumental when you need to appeal claims. You can request a free sample at....

https://catalog.ama-assn.org/Catalog...tId=prod180120
Old 09-14-2009, 02:25 PM
Networker

Awesome!! I was just searching the web for issues of CPT assistant, so far everything I saw had a price on it..I just wanted something for free!!!

Thank you again for all of your help, I do appreciate it..I am fairly new to the coding field, and somedays I feel that there is so much information to comprehend, I feel so lost sometimes!!

Thanks again,
Emily Kress, CPC
Old 02-11-2010, 11:47 AM
New

pcam is on a distinguished road
Default 99183 question

Does anyone know if Medicare will pay if you dive the patient more than 1 a day?? I know the code states per session but can you have multiple sessions in a day?? My doc wants the patient to have multiple sessions in a day.

Thanks
pcam