Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Emergency Department
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 10:53 PM
Guru

vj_tiwari is on a distinguished road
Default suture removal

Hey,

I need help regarding, If patient come to ED for suture removal for knee lacer.(which placed in the same ED, 9-10 days ago) then my CPT code is 99024 or 99281?

Actully I'm confused about suture removal has a postoperative period (surgical packege) or not.

Thanks for you're valuable help!

VJ.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:42 AM
Networker

PURNIMA is on a distinguished road

Hi VJ,

Laceration repairs come under 10 day global package.

For a laceration revisit within 10days without complication- if the encounter is just for a recheck or a suture removal without any additional work up or complication, we need not bill the visit.

For a laceration revisit within 10days with complication - Within 10 days, patient comes in with any complication due to repair or in the site of laceration (or) any new complication other than laceration, we can code the record.

For laceration repair after 10 days -irrespective of with or without complication we can code the encounter.

Hope this helps,

Thank You and Have a great day!

Purnima S, CPC
Old 07-16-2010, 02:01 AM
Guru

Hey,

Thanks Purnima...

But for the codition without complication, we didn't even code V58.32, 99281 (or 99024)? Please specify.

Also provide the CPT codes for the coditions u metioned as with or w/o complication. And also please specify where to use 99024 (Are we use for suture removal/ wound check- surgical, non surgical ?) ?

Thanks for ur valuable help!

VJ.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:51 PM
Guru

keke74 is on a distinguished road

If the pt comes in w/out complications, suture removal/wound check only, you would use 99024 & v58.3XXX. If the pt comes in w/complications you can code the encounter using the ER E/M Codes. Hope this helps!!!
Old 07-17-2010, 02:55 PM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_tiwari View Post
Hey,

I need help regarding, If patient come to ED for suture removal for knee lacer.(which placed in the same ED, 9-10 days ago) then my CPT code is 99024 or 99281?

Actully I'm confused about suture removal has a postoperative period (surgical packege) or not.

Thanks for you're valuable help!

VJ.
It is really important to know if you are coding for the physician or the facility as the answer is just a little different.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
Old 07-19-2010, 10:15 PM
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
It is really important to know if you are coding for the physician or the facility as the answer is just a little different.
Hey,

Please let me know for the both .....!
Old 07-19-2010, 10:54 PM
Networker

PURNIMA is on a distinguished road
Default Suture removal

VJ,

Good Day!

Here you go with the response:

1. we didn't even code V58.32, 99281 (or 99024)?Please specify. - Normally for a recheck or a sure removal within 10day global days, we need not bill the account, stating the reason as "NC Global".
2.a) Also provide the CPT codes for the coditions u metioned as with or w/o complication - If the patient returns with complication within 10day period - code with appropriate E/M level as per the documentation and MDM.

2.b) Without complication - after 10days global period - ICD would be V58.32 and E/M level would be 99281 or 99282.

3. And also please specify where to use 99024 (Are we use for suture removal/ wound check- surgical, non surgical ?) ? - I work for a physician and normally we are not using this code, sorry I could not help you in this,and I dont want to mislead you.

Hope this helps you.

Please revert in case of any further questions

Thank You,

Purnima S, CPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by vj_tiwari View Post
Hey,

Thanks Purnima...

But for the codition without complication, we didn't even code V58.32, 99281 (or 99024)? Please specify.

Also provide the CPT codes for the coditions u metioned as with or w/o complication. And also please specify where to use 99024 (Are we use for suture removal/ wound check- surgical, non surgical ?) ?

Thanks for ur valuable help!

VJ.
Old 07-20-2010, 05:26 AM
Guru

Hi Purnima,

Thank you very much. That's what I need, yaa still one question remaining (for facility). But nicely done...

If you know Hindi, then this is for u...

KYA BAAT .

KYA BAAT ..

KYA BAAT ...!

VJ.
Old 07-20-2010, 09:25 AM
True Blue

cpccoder2008 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellde View Post
I would also like to know for both. Thanks
Old 07-20-2010, 09:40 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

Sorry we had a major power outage here and everything just came back up! The facility has no global period at all so if the patient returns to the ER for suture removal the facility can and should charge an ER level even though the ER physician cannot if it is in global. The facility is required to construct a "tool" that tells how the facility levels are arrived at in their facility, it does not necessarily match the physician level for the same service. So the facility will use the V58.32 dx code and then an ER level say a level 1 using either the 99281 or the G code for that same level depending on payer.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H