Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Interventional Radiology
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Networker

SharL  is on a distinguished road
Default 76098 specimen via radiology and u/s

Examining (breast) surgical specimen first via radiology/mammo and then the same specimen examined under U/S . . can 76098 be charged twice for examining the same specimen, different modalities ?

Thanks !
Old 08-09-2010, 03:59 PM
Networker

msncoder is on a distinguished road

Shar,
You can charge 76098 for the radiograph however u/s of a specimen is not covered under 76098. You would have to bill a UPC for that specimen. And yes, you definitely can charge twice for the same specimen if performed under2 different techniques.
Hope this helps!
Old 08-29-2010, 10:58 AM
Contributor

Terry L is on a distinguished road
Default biospy specimen

76098 is the correct code for a breast specimen. You should not code 76942 even if your looking to see if the calcifications are in the specimen
Old 09-27-2011, 09:37 AM
Contributor

meenal is on a distinguished road
Default Breast specimen US and Rad

I had the same issue a couple weeks ago. All in my team are saying the US exam of the breast specimen should also be billed with 76098 and the Radiological exam of the breast specimen is also a 76098; and I disagree.
Can you assist me further to convince them that that US exam of the breast specimen will be an UPC?
Thanks for your help in advance.

Last edited by meenal; 09-27-2011 at 09:39 AM. Reason: want to add a subject/title