Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 05-20-2008, 05:48 PM
rthames052006's Avatar
rthames052006 rthames052006 is offline
True Blue
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 1,812
rthames052006 will become famous soon enough
Default QW modifier

Hello all,

I am at a new employer now and I am unsure as to why they are using the QW modifier for Medicare claims when they bill a cpt code in the 80000 series, where I used to work we billed for those codes and we never had to use this QW modifier, when I asked why we are using it and what it means because I have never heard of it. I am being told because they were told to, no one knows why but they just do.

I just want to get some clarification on this, since I have no prior experience with it.

I think I will also check my local medicare carrier website to see if I can get a clue.

TIA
__________________
Roxanne Thames, CPC, CEMC
AAPCCA Board of Directors 2012-2015
Region 1- ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY

Past President 2011, 2012 York, PA Chapter
Past President Elect 2010 York, Pa Chapter
Roxanne.Thames@aapcca.org
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 PM
rthames052006's Avatar
rthames052006 rthames052006 is offline
True Blue
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 1,812
rthames052006 will become famous soon enough
Default

Ok, so I checked Medicare's website and I now know that QW= clia waived test, but I am still unclear, I don't mean to sound stupid but the office I came from this wasn't an issue, and at this point no one can tell me why we have to use it... I'm just looking to get some clarification....

Any help will be appreciated.





Quote:
Originally Posted by rthames052006 View Post
Hello all,

I am at a new employer now and I am unsure as to why they are using the QW modifier for Medicare claims when they bill a cpt code in the 80000 series, where I used to work we billed for those codes and we never had to use this QW modifier, when I asked why we are using it and what it means because I have never heard of it. I am being told because they were told to, no one knows why but they just do.

I just want to get some clarification on this, since I have no prior experience with it.

I think I will also check my local medicare carrier website to see if I can get a clue.

TIA
__________________
Roxanne Thames, CPC, CEMC
AAPCCA Board of Directors 2012-2015
Region 1- ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY

Past President 2011, 2012 York, PA Chapter
Past President Elect 2010 York, Pa Chapter
Roxanne.Thames@aapcca.org
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 05-21-2008, 09:50 AM
jharrell jharrell is offline
Networker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 64
jharrell is on a distinguished road
Default

We put the QW on some of our 80000 codes that we do in house. We have always wondered if they are suppose to go on all as well and have always been told what you are being told. So I went to look it up and go to the following link and I think this may help. Starting on the 5th page it gives you a list of the codes that require the QW.

Jessica Harrell, CPC
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:29 AM
thompsonsyl's Avatar
thompsonsyl thompsonsyl is offline
Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: San Diego
Posts: 162
thompsonsyl is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi,

CLIA stands for "clinical laboratory improvement amendments". It is a law that establishes quality standards for all laboratory testing (except research) to ensure the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of patient tests. There are all sorts of guidelines & criteria that a "laboratory" must meet. As per CLIA, the definition of a "laboratory" is as follows: "a facility that performs testing on materials derived from the human body for the purpose of providing information for the diagnosis, preventionm, or treatment of any disease or impairment of, or assessment of the health of, human beings."

There are different levels of certificates that are required in order for a facility to do lab tests. The QW modifier states that the tests you are performing are "simple laboratory examinations and procedures that have an insignificant risk of an erroneous result". They are considered "CLIA waived" and therefore require a "CLIA Certificate of Waiver". You can access a complete list of the CLIA waived tests via the link I've included below.

This in a nutshell, I think answers some of your questions. There is more in-depth information that you can find on the CLIA webiste. I've included the link for you below:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CLIA/01_Overview.asp#TopOfPage

Hope this helps & Good Luck.
__________________
Sylvia Thompson, CPC
Billing Supervisor
San Diego, CA
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 05-21-2008, 02:20 PM
jharrell jharrell is offline
Networker
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 64
jharrell is on a distinguished road
Default

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/transmittals/...ads/R325CP.pdf

Sorry here is the link I was talking about
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 05-21-2008, 03:27 PM
rthames052006's Avatar
rthames052006 rthames052006 is offline
True Blue
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: York, Pa
Posts: 1,812
rthames052006 will become famous soon enough
Default

thompsonsyl,

Thank you very much for the info... I appreciate your prompt, clear response, it all makes sense now.

Again thanks



Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonsyl View Post
Hi,

CLIA stands for "clinical laboratory improvement amendments". It is a law that establishes quality standards for all laboratory testing (except research) to ensure the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of patient tests. There are all sorts of guidelines & criteria that a "laboratory" must meet. As per CLIA, the definition of a "laboratory" is as follows: "a facility that performs testing on materials derived from the human body for the purpose of providing information for the diagnosis, preventionm, or treatment of any disease or impairment of, or assessment of the health of, human beings."

There are different levels of certificates that are required in order for a facility to do lab tests. The QW modifier states that the tests you are performing are "simple laboratory examinations and procedures that have an insignificant risk of an erroneous result". They are considered "CLIA waived" and therefore require a "CLIA Certificate of Waiver". You can access a complete list of the CLIA waived tests via the link I've included below.

This in a nutshell, I think answers some of your questions. There is more in-depth information that you can find on the CLIA webiste. I've included the link for you below:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CLIA/01_Overview.asp#TopOfPage

Hope this helps & Good Luck.
__________________
Roxanne Thames, CPC, CEMC
AAPCCA Board of Directors 2012-2015
Region 1- ME, NH, VT, MA, RI, CT, NY

Past President 2011, 2012 York, PA Chapter
Past President Elect 2010 York, Pa Chapter
Roxanne.Thames@aapcca.org
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 05-27-2010, 03:35 PM
taham taham is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 3
taham is on a distinguished road
Default Office manager

I need to know do we use qw modifire for lab test only for medicare patient.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-09-2013, 02:37 PM
krdonegan krdonegan is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson Arizona Chapter
Posts: 2
krdonegan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by taham View Post
I need to know do we use qw modifire for lab test only for medicare patient.
You may use the QW modifier for patients with private insurance. I work for a billing office that specializes in treatment facilities, and the QW modifier can be used for ANY CLIA-certified test that is performed, regardless of the patient's insurance.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM
krdonegan krdonegan is offline
New
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Tucson Arizona Chapter
Posts: 2
krdonegan is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thompsonsyl View Post
Hi,

CLIA stands for "clinical laboratory improvement amendments". It is a law that establishes quality standards for all laboratory testing (except research) to ensure the accuracy, reliability and timeliness of patient tests. There are all sorts of guidelines & criteria that a "laboratory" must meet. As per CLIA, the definition of a "laboratory" is as follows: "a facility that performs testing on materials derived from the human body for the purpose of providing information for the diagnosis, preventionm, or treatment of any disease or impairment of, or assessment of the health of, human beings."

There are different levels of certificates that are required in order for a facility to do lab tests. The QW modifier states that the tests you are performing are "simple laboratory examinations and procedures that have an insignificant risk of an erroneous result". They are considered "CLIA waived" and therefore require a "CLIA Certificate of Waiver". You can access a complete list of the CLIA waived tests via the link I've included below.

This in a nutshell, I think answers some of your questions. There is more in-depth information that you can find on the CLIA webiste. I've included the link for you below:

http://www.cms.hhs.gov/CLIA/01_Overview.asp#TopOfPage

Hope this helps & Good Luck.
This is a well-worded, brilliant answer. Thank you for taking the time to make it. It has cleared a few of my doubts about CLIA. Thanks again. :)
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 AM
Oceanlivin Oceanlivin is offline
Expert
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Coastal Coders
Posts: 262
Oceanlivin is on a distinguished road
Default

Hi Roxanne

Here is a link to the CMS pdf I use:

http://www.cms.gov/Regulations-and-G...s/waivetbl.pdf


Save it to your desktop and search it using the "find" feature.
Hope this Helps
Pete
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




Disclaimer: Although AAPC staff members will monitor these forums periodically, we cannot be responsible for the information posted herein, nor guarantee its accuracy. Our members may discuss various subjects related to medical coding, but none of the information should replace the independent judgment of a physician for any given health issue. Please note that the opinions expressed here do not necessarily reflect those of AAPC.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:07 PM.

AAPC - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©2014, AAPC