Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Emergency Department
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Guru

alices is on a distinguished road
Default elevated INR

If dr. writes elevated INR and pt is on coumidn would you code 79092...thanks alice
Old 12-04-2010, 05:18 PM
True Blue

preserene is on a distinguished road

I do not know what this code is meant for (may be in 2010 CPT). But i feel that 79xxx series belong to the Radioactive isotopes category .
But I do know for sure that INR is a lab test done in patients on ANTICOAGULANTS,(atrial fibrillation, previous history of an "infarct" or DVT/pulmonary embolism), for detecting the extended Prothrombin Time in patients who are on Coumidin, Heparin derivative therapy- as an INDEX to decide about the therapeutic continuation/ or to reduce the dose/ or to temporarily discontinue the drug- meaning to know the adverse effect (not as a poison drug)- in otherwords, it is an AQUIRED COAGULATION DEFECT while on treatment with Anticoagulants.
So, "INR elevation" specifically states that extended coagulation time is the desired endpoint for coumadin.

It is a Lab test and the E/M code would suffice if it the only service provided.

For ICD 9 CM Code: Assign a code for abnormal blood lab value for those instances where the PT and INR are elevated and the patient is admitted for reversal of the extended PT and INR. A contributing factor to the patient's adverse reaction to coumadin is the extended half-life of the circulating coumadin in the blood stream due to decreased effectiveness of the liver to metabolize the drug.
Am I clear and make some sense or no?
Thank you, Alices
Old 12-04-2010, 05:22 PM
True Blue

INR STANDS FOR 'INTERNATIONAL NORMALIZED RATIO' for Prothrombin Time
Old 01-11-2011, 11:35 AM
New

ERcoder12 is on a distinguished road

I would code 790.92 and V58.61.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:13 PM
True Blue

Yes, that is perfect diagnosis codes for elevated INR I said elevated INR indicates abnormal Prothrombin Time indirectly. The patient is already on anticoagulants.(Vcode)
But Alice's question was about the CPT code. I am curious to know the correct CPT code too.
Thank you.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:13 PM
Expert

eadun2000 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by preserene View Post
Yes, that is perfect diagnosis codes for elevated INR I said elevated INR indicates abnormal Prothrombin Time indirectly. The patient is already on anticoagulants.(Vcode)
But Alice's question was about the CPT code. I am curious to know the correct CPT code too.
Thank you.
Actually Alice asked about the dx code 790.92... she just didn't put the decimal in... 79092. Hope this helps
Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 AM
Guru

alices is on a distinguished road
Default inr

I am truly sorry for the confusion, I did mean the dx i should have put it in and didn't, but thank you everyone for the responses and again really sorry..alice
Old 02-06-2013, 11:31 AM
Contributor

Larmour is on a distinguished road
Default Dx for elevated INR V58.61 long term anticoagulant

Long term use of anticoagluant is V58.61
Lise
MGH
Old 02-26-2013, 02:15 PM
Contributor

anmariebrigham is on a distinguished road

I would use 790.92 and V58.61 also.
Thanks!