Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2008, 06:09 AM
New

cdecristofaro is on a distinguished road
Question radiology cpt help

I am having a hard time finding a cpt code for a diagnostic ultrasound. The tech did a soft tissue ultrasound on a patient's back right side. i have looked at each decription and am having no luck in finding the appropiate code for this procedure. Any suggestion??
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Guru

racheleporter is on a distinguished road
Default response to radiology cpt help

ultrasound...back....try 76800

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdecristofaro View Post
I am having a hard time finding a cpt code for a diagnostic ultrasound. The tech did a soft tissue ultrasound on a patient's back right side. i have looked at each decription and am having no luck in finding the appropiate code for this procedure. Any suggestion??
Thanks.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:42 AM
New

cdecristofaro is on a distinguished road

I did see that cpt code but my only concern w/ this code is that it indicates spinal canal. The ultrasound we performed was soft tissue of the back? This is why i am having such difficulty. So what do you think?
Old 06-25-2008, 05:10 PM
Contributor

Susan Carter CPC is on a distinguished road
Cool

We have come across this issue in the past and there isn't a specific code for Ultrasound soft tissue of back. we use the unlisted ultrasound code 76999.
Old 06-26-2008, 07:57 AM
Guru

Kris Cuddy is on a distinguished road

Typically, a specific body organ, area, or sytem is being looked at. What was the order for the ultrasound? Also, what does the report indicate was looked at and found?
Old 06-12-2009, 02:59 PM
Networker

claudiak is on a distinguished road
Question Cpt code for ultrasound soft tissue back????

Good Afternoon,

Did you ever decide on a cpt code for this ultrasound soft tissue back? I am having the same situation and I agree with you that 76800 states ultrasound spinal contents and that is not what was done

Did you use an unlisted code or something else. Please help[ if you have any info. I was told that the CSI Navigator said to use 76705 us abdomen single organ limited but isn't that only for the abdomen or liver or gallbladder?

I would appreciate any info you could share.

Claudia K, CPC
Networker
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Networker

TamaraM is on a distinguished road
Default Upper back 76604 & lower back 76705

Code 76705 (Ultrasound, abdominal, real time with image documentation; limited [e.g., single organ, quadrant, follow-up]) is appropriate for this lower back ultrasound.

You might be surprised to discover these other not-so-obvious anatomy/code pairings that CPT Assistant supports:

• chest wall, upper back: 76604 (Ultrasound chest [includes mediastinum], real time with image documentation)

• pelvic wall, buttock, perineum: 76857 (Ultrasound, pelvic [nonobstetric], real time with image documentation; limited or follow-up [e.g., for follicles])

• upper extremity, axilla, groin, lower extremity: 76881/76882 (Ultrasound, extremity, nonvascular, real time with image documentation).

http://codingnews.inhealthcare.com/c...5-ok-for-back/

hope this helps for future readers!

Last edited by TamaraM; 07-13-2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old 06-08-2011, 01:48 PM
True Blue

jgf-CPC is on a distinguished road

Although the code descriptor states “abdominal” and not “back,” CPT Assistant (May 2009) clarifies that 76705 is appropriate for a lower back or abdominal wall soft tissue mass ultrasound. Hope that helps!

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius~
Old 06-08-2011, 06:01 PM
Contributor

pacosta1 is on a distinguished road

At our radiology practice for an us of the back we use 76880 or now its 76882. And 76800 we see were this code is usually only reimbursed for patients 5 and under.
Old 06-08-2011, 11:47 PM
True Blue

srinivas r sajja is on a distinguished road

Upper Back 76604-52

Lower Back 76705

as per ACR