Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Diagnosis Coding
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 08:04 AM
Networker

ilvchopin is on a distinguished road
Default Accidental Needle Stick

Does anyone know what other icd-9 codes are needed with E920.5, hypodermic needle stick, using this for healthcare worker that got accidentally stuck, now testing for HIV as precaution. The code book mentions usng this as an additional code, but not sure what should be the primary code. Please help.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:06 AM
Contributor

KRivers26 is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

I believe the type of injury itself (cut,wound..) would be the primary code. E codes are used for additional information regarding where and how the injury occured. Hope this helps!
Old 12-15-2011, 02:39 PM
New

t.rosales is on a distinguished road

You would use the v1585 (exposure to body fluids).
Old 12-15-2011, 03:25 PM
True Blue

ajs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilvchopin View Post
Does anyone know what other icd-9 codes are needed with E920.5, hypodermic needle stick, using this for healthcare worker that got accidentally stuck, now testing for HIV as precaution. The code book mentions usng this as an additional code, but not sure what should be the primary code. Please help.
Assuming they were stuck in the hand or finger, you would use either 882.0 ir 882.3 primary with the E code secondary.
President-Elect 2010
Member Relations 2008
AAPC NAB 2007-2009
Old 12-16-2011, 10:24 AM
Networker

kjohnson is on a distinguished road

Now I'm curious, we've always coded V15.85 along with the E code for needle stick. Wondering how many others use the open wound codes as the primary dx?
Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM
True Blue

ajs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohnson View Post
Now I'm curious, we've always coded V15.85 along with the E code for needle stick. Wondering how many others use the open wound codes as the primary dx?
I think because there was an injury that led to the need to test, it just makes sense to have the injury code, the E code and then the V code for a complete explanation of the circumstances.
President-Elect 2010
Member Relations 2008
AAPC NAB 2007-2009
Old 11-01-2012, 08:07 AM
True Blue

cpccoder2008 is on a distinguished road

We are having the same problem. What if the patient wasn't puntured with the needle or isn't sure if it went through, how would you code this ? For example sometimes they might get a prick but when they removed their gloves there is no blood or wound but as metioned above the run test and are seen in the ER as a precaution. I have always used 959.5 because i was told if the needle didn't puncture the skin then you cannot code an open wound. I'm curious as to what others are using as well. Thanks
Old 11-01-2012, 08:26 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

You are correct it is not appropriate to use a code for an open wound for a puncture wound. therfore barring any code for puncture wound the 959.5 would be the first listed. Unless it is documented that there has been exposure to body fluids do not use the V15.85. Use screening V codes for the tests.

Debra A. Mitchell, MSPH, CPC-H
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM
True Blue

cpccoder2008 is on a distinguished road

We dont use the V15.85 code either, only the 959.5 with the E code. We use the V15.85 if while drawing blood it gets on their skin or if a patient spits on them etc...
Thanks