Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Employment > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2011, 09:22 AM
Contributor

rlfisher09 is on a distinguished road
Default Cpc exam tips

Hello Everyone! I am in serious need of some help! I am taking my CPC certification tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had some last minute tips for me! I just completed a coding and billing program (that was supposed to take two years part time) in a semester with straight A's but I worried about the exam. After reading that most people have been doing this for years before they take their test I feel I might have underestimated how difficult it will be since I have only been actually coding for a month. Any tips or suggestions for my exam tomorrow would be great! I have done all the practice tests and went through the work book offered by AAPC.

Thank You!!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Contributor

fretz1973 is on a distinguished road

I also used the practice exams and the AAPC workbook and passed on the first try. My advice is answer the easy one first save the hard ones for last...Also go straight to the code and beside each one write the differences between the codes. This is how I took the test and it seemed to help...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:40 AM
Contributor

Thank You! Were the practice test about the same level of difficulty as the real test or were they easier?
Old 12-09-2011, 09:48 AM
Contributor

fretz1973 is on a distinguished road

They were the same difficulty to me. I felt they prepared me very well for the actual test. Good luck on your test...
Old 12-09-2011, 09:53 AM
True Blue

ajs is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlfisher09 View Post
Hello Everyone! I am in serious need of some help! I am taking my CPC certification tomorrow and was wondering if anyone had some last minute tips for me! I just completed a coding and billing program (that was supposed to take two years part time) in a semester with straight A's but I worried about the exam. After reading that most people have been doing this for years before they take their test I feel I might have underestimated how difficult it will be since I have only been actually coding for a month. Any tips or suggestions for my exam tomorrow would be great! I have done all the practice tests and went through the work book offered by AAPC.

Thank You!!
There was a really good thread elsewhere in the forums on this topic...here is the link. Look at Brandi's post with test taking tips and I think you will find it most helpful!

http://www.aapc.com/memberarea/forum...ad.php?t=64283
President-Elect 2010
Member Relations 2008
AAPC NAB 2007-2009
Old 12-09-2011, 11:28 AM
Contributor

cperk is on a distinguished road

I took the test on 12/03/2011. Last Saturday. This was my first try and I passed with an 80%. I used the practice exam from Carol Bucks review and I think the real test was harder. The best advice I would give is do not second guess yourself and don't spend a lot of time on one question. Keep moving. If you can do that you'll be fine. I've never worked in the coding field. I passed with a medical terminology class and one semester of Coding. You can do it..GL!!
Old 12-09-2011, 12:56 PM
Contributor

Thank You Everyone! It's very much appreciated I'm gonna ace this thing!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:22 PM
True Blue

jgf-CPC is on a distinguished road

Please let us know how you did and good luck!

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life. ~Confucius~
Old 12-12-2011, 12:37 PM
New

dsuther@amerigroupcorp.com is on a distinguished road

I think the most important thing to remember is keep track of the time. Don't obsess about it, just be mindful of how much time you have left and try to keep moving.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:27 AM
Guru

kristyrodecker is on a distinguished road

1) Skip the index and go straight to the tabular to look up the four options that you are given

2) Skip long and difficult questions on the exam (and bubble sheet) and go back to them at the end if you have time.

3) When guessing make an educated one. Ex: If you are in the musculoskeletal section (20000 codes) your answer will likely have a 20000 code listed

4) Knowing some med term and anatomy can hepl you more than you think

5) A lot of the correct answers have codes that are repeated in at least two of the options with only a slight variation (Ex: Option A and B may be identical except A has a modifier and B does not)

6) 95% of the question have the answer some where in one of the manuals. Read your guidelines and know your modifiers!

7) Google "CPC practice exam", there are a lot of free and cheap practice out there (and practice is the best way to study).

There's a good practice exam here (150 questions for $19.99) http://www.medicalbillingandmedicalc...cticeexam.html

Good luck to you and don't give up!

Medical Billing and Coding Education and Career Guide