Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Diagnosis Coding
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM
Expert

Tonyj is on a distinguished road
Default Coombs positive hemolytic anemia

Can someone help me with the proper ICD9 code for "Coombs positive hemolytic anemia"?
Old 01-27-2012, 04:49 PM
Guru

mjb5019 is on a distinguished road
Default icd 9 coombs positive

Go to the alphabetical index of the icd-9-cm book and lookup anemia- hemolytic -autoimmune. Then go to the tabular list, lookup that code and you will see the COOMBS POSITIVE listed.
Old 01-30-2012, 07:10 AM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb5019 View Post
Go to the alphabetical index of the icd-9-cm book and lookup anemia- hemolytic -autoimmune. Then go to the tabular list, lookup that code and you will see the COOMBS POSITIVE listed.
I use Ingenix 2012 expert version and I've not seen COOMBS POSITIVE listed. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 01-31-2012, 11:31 AM
Guru

mjb5019 is on a distinguished road
Default read all directions

I use the Elsevier Professional Edition by Carol J Buck and if you go to anemia, hemolytic read the information directly under the 283 heading BEFORE you get to 283.0- my book gives information concerning Coombs. It states that acquired hemolytic anemias are also known as autoimmune hemolytic or Coombs positive Hemolytic anemia. If that isn't in the Ingenix book anywhere in the 283.XX section, next year I'd get a different publisher.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:46 PM
Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb5019 View Post
I use the Elsevier Professional Edition by Carol J Buck and if you go to anemia, hemolytic read the information directly under the 283 heading BEFORE you get to 283.0- my book gives information concerning Coombs. It states that acquired hemolytic anemias are also known as autoimmune hemolytic or Coombs positive Hemolytic anemia. If that isn't in the Ingenix book anywhere in the 283.XX section, next year I'd get a different publisher.
Much thanks