Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Podiatry
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-20-2012, 03:03 PM
Contributor

Joyce Burchett is on a distinguished road
Question Tailor's Bunion 5th Toe (Reverse Austin)

Op Report: 4 cm linear incision placed over 5th MPJ. Dissection carried down to level of joint capsule where a T capsulotomy was performed. All periosteal as well as capsular tissues were dissected free from the head of the 5th MPJ. Using a high speed oscillated saw the lateral eminence removed. A tempered K-wire was inserted at the apex of the future osteotomy site. The osteotomy was then cut. The capital fragment was translocated medially about 1/3rd of the width of the metatarsal shaft. A 1.5 x 16mm screw was placed across the osteotomy site going from the dorsal distal to the plantar proximal direction & tightened to two-finger tightness. Remaining lateral eminence was transected with high speed saw. A 3-0 vicryl was used to reapproximate the capsule, 4-0 subcu, 5-0 for skin edges. Isn't CPT 28296 for big toe bunionectomy only? I thought this should be coded 28110 or 28308. I have done extensive research & could not find a "reverse austin bunionectomy" for 5th toe. Any help or explanation would be helpful.
Old 03-21-2012, 11:14 AM
Networker

miracle01 is on a distinguished road

28308 would be the code to use
Old 04-01-2014, 09:46 AM
New

msdwilborn@yahoo.com is on a distinguished road

I would try for Reverse Austin cpt 28296 Correction, hallux valgus (bunion), with or without sesamoidectomy; with metatarsal osteotomy (eg, Mitchell, Chevron, or concentric type procedures)

( You should also use this code to report Reverdin-Green osteotomy, Reverse Austin, Mitchell, Chevron, Kalish, Youngswick, Reverdin, Hohmann, and LaGreshino bunionectomy procedures.)

I was having a hard time locating reverse austin bunionectomy as well but stumbled on this that is in () above

This code also includes the metatarsal osteotomy 5th Toe

Hope this helps