Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > ICD-10
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-09-2012, 12:46 PM
Contributor

dpeterson39 is on a distinguished road
Default ICD-10 and HCC Coding for Risk Adjustment

With all the changes from day to day, I am sure the topic is hush hush for a reason, but I thought I would take a stab at asking. Has anyone found materials supporting the changes to be expected with Hierarchical Condition Categories with regard to ICD-10? I have heard that DRGs have been tasked for investigation in approximately 2015 but I am wondering if anyone has found articles or proposals by CMS on their risk adjustment system for Medicare Advantage plans.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:03 PM
Contributor

SherryMiller is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen anything. I wouldn't suppose that there will be much info for a while since the first recalculation using the ICD-10s won't happen until July 2015.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:15 PM
Contributor

hinditina is on a distinguished road
Default National Conference

I just got back from AAPC national conference and this very question was asked. The speaker had come to the same conclusion that nothing has been mentioned. I honestly don't think too much will happen. ICD-10 is about being very specific to the coding there won’t be much in unspecific codes. I don’t think there will be much of an impact. They just put out this afternoon that the push back for ICD-10 is now 2014. I think in 2014 that when we will know.
Old 04-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Contributor

dpeterson39 is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your insight, I am on the same page. I plan to do the mapping/cross walking of the current 3000+ I9s as they relate to the I10s in the 70 medical HCCs with the hopes that we will be able to use a mapping tool of sorts to do the bulk of the work. If anyone else has insight or if data is found please feel free to share, and I will do the same.
Illinois, USA
Old 04-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Networker

Location: Professional Coders of Central Pennsylvania (PCOCPA), Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
jmoravecz is on a distinguished road

I attended a Risk Adjustment conference 2 weeks ago and asked the CMS presenter about this. I was told that they are still in process with reviewing; that the mapping/crosswalking will require significant clinical, as well as significant coding, consideration.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:07 AM
True Blue

mmorningstarcpc is on a distinguished road

At the Coordination and Maintenance Meeting, it was said that since the DRGs were recently converted to MS-DRGs (a couple of years ago), that they would most likely wait two years (after implementation of I-10) and review the data before upgrading the MS-DRGs. Remember too, that CMS is two years behind when reviewing data.

Hope this helps!!

Last edited by mmorningstarcpc; 04-26-2012 at 06:39 AM.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:21 PM
New

claudine is on a distinguished road
Default Hcc & icd10

Great Information - very much appreciated - Thank you

Claudine
Claudine Rosson, CPC, CPC-I
Clinical Quality Analyst, SR
Lifeprint Health