Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Cardiovascular Thoracic
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2008, 12:49 PM
Networker

dzanoni is on a distinguished road
Question Sternal wire removal/debridement

I need help find the codes for the following procedure:

Removal of Sternal Wire, debridement of tissue and revision of the sternotomy incision.

I thought about 11010 but it states associated with open fractures or dislocations. That isn't the case. The sternal wire was causing an infection, so that's why it was removed. A 2-3 inch ellliptical incision was made. The Subq tissue flaps were recreated, the inflamed area was dissected off the sternum with a Bovie cautery. The sternal wire was cut and removed and then wound was closed w/vicryl...

Any help would be appreciated
Old 09-06-2008, 05:38 PM
Networker

amolson1325 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzanoni View Post
I need help find the codes for the following procedure:

Removal of Sternal Wire, debridement of tissue and revision of the sternotomy incision.

I thought about 11010 but it states associated with open fractures or dislocations. That isn't the case. The sternal wire was causing an infection, so that's why it was removed. A 2-3 inch ellliptical incision was made. The Subq tissue flaps were recreated, the inflamed area was dissected off the sternum with a Bovie cautery. The sternal wire was cut and removed and then wound was closed w/vicryl...

Any help would be appreciated
Check out 21750 see if that fits, also 20670??
Old 09-06-2008, 09:40 PM
Networker

I think the 20760 will work. The actual sternum really wasn't open...Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated
Old 09-06-2008, 09:41 PM
Networker

I think the 20670 will work. The actual sternum really wasn't open...Thanks for your help. It is greatly appreciated
Old 09-08-2008, 11:58 AM
Expert

MLS2 is on a distinguished road

what about 20680-Removal of implant; deep (eg, buried wire, pin, screw, metal band, nail, rod or plate)

The physician makes an incision overlying the site of the implant. Deep dissection is carried down to visualize the implant, which is usually below the muscle level and within bone. The physician uses instruments to remove the implant from the bone. The incision is repaired in layers using sutures, staples, and/or Steri-strips.

it sounds like the wire was taken out of the sternal bone..."dissected off the sternum" It sounds more than superficial...

Last edited by MLS2; 09-08-2008 at 12:03 PM.
Old 09-17-2008, 01:55 PM
True Blue

FTessaBartels will become famous soon enough
Default 20680

I concur with MLS2 ... 20680. From the brief description of the procedure I would categorize this as "deep."

F Tessa Bartels, CPC, CPC-E/M
Old 09-24-2008, 01:44 PM
Networker

cmblocher is on a distinguished road

Can I be curious and ask you what diagnosis codes you were using with this procedure?

Thanks
Old 10-03-2008, 03:04 PM
Networker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmweyand View Post
Can I be curious and ask you what diagnosis codes you were using with this procedure?

Thanks
I used 998.59 post op infection and 998.32 for partial dehiscence.