Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Employment > General Discussion
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-2008, 03:04 PM
Contributor

deja53 is on a distinguished road
Default HCC coding

I need feedback on HCC coding. Is it easier than straight ICD-9 coding? Is HCC coding more time consuming than straight ICD-9 coding? Is there somewhere I could get a list of the HCC codes?

Thanks,
Tammy
Old 09-17-2008, 04:30 PM
Expert

pamtienter is on a distinguished road

Hi Tammy, From what I understand, HCC coding is about being as specific as possible when choosing ICD-9 codes (as we should be anyway but sometimes charges aren't reviewed before going out) because the HCC ranking assigned to the codes is a severity ranking. That also means the providers have to be as specific as they can about the diagnoses they see the patient for. CMS has information on their website (CMS Home>Medicare>Medicare Advantage -Rates & Statistics>Risk Adjustment) and there are some videos and other information on www.hccblog.com.
Pam, CPC, CPC-P
Old 09-17-2008, 05:41 PM
Networker

sherryjean27 is on a distinguished road

Tammy,

HCC coding you are only capturing the most severe dx's. There are only only 3,000 some icd-9 codes that have an hcc for them. You code it, look up the hcc that matches the code. If you don't see the code in the hcc manual, then the dx does not fall under an hcc, therefore you don't code it. This is for regular hcc coding. (Now they have RX hcc's which is different.)
Old 10-17-2008, 01:20 PM
Expert

pamtienter is on a distinguished road

I would still code applicable codes even if they didn't have an HCC value so it tells the complete story of why the patient was in. You definitely need to make sure that you do code ones that have an HCC value. Providers need to be educated to document all problems that come into play with a particular visit so those HCC codes can be used.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:44 PM
Networker

ajudd is an unknown quantity at this point

my job is working with HCC's. It is about coding as specific as possible.

HCC's ( Hiererchial condition categories) were designed to assign scores to health carriers members' based on their degree of sickness.
I'm not sure if I can get into the specifics of it - the nitty gritty - but know that CMS using the HCC model makes for a more accurate prediction of health care/medical costs.

One should always code to the highest level of specificty anyway, and always code on the claim all the conditions a patient was treated for in an encounter. If a patient comes in for a sore knee but they also review the blood sugars with the PCP because they have diabetes, it is very appropriate to code for BOTH the knee issue and the DM - provided, that is, that it is documented in the chart.

Remember the golden rule : if it's not documented, it didn't happen!!!

2013 President, Flower City Professional Coders
2012 Vice President, Flower City Coders local Chapter
2011 Member Development Officer, local chapter

"You cannot truly listen to anyone and do anything else at the same time." M. Scott Peck
Old 10-18-2008, 10:44 AM
Contributor

sunshinegirl is on a distinguished road

Is there a book or website other than the hccblog that I can use as reference? I just got a job and I am to be doing hcc coding.
I appreciate all your help!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:16 AM
Networker

Icode4U is on a distinguished road
Default Hcc

CMS website. HCC is a CMS program
Old 10-20-2008, 01:17 PM
Guru

em2177 is on a distinguished road
Default HCC Coding

I have used the following websites to research on HCC coding. I just finished a couple of projects dealing with HCC coding. I did audits for various Doctors and found some useful tools on these sites.
Hope you find them helpful as well....
Old 10-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Guru

em2177 is on a distinguished road
Default HCC Coding

Here are the sites: www.hccblog.com, www.cms.hhs.gov, www.hccuniversity.com
Old 02-05-2010, 05:51 AM
New

nithya is on a distinguished road
Question HCC coding

Would you please explain me what is exactly HCC coding.And the difference between part I and part II.