Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Behavioral Health
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 10:39 AM
New

Lainie4656 is on a distinguished road
Default CPT codes 90832-90838

I do billing for Mental Health. My CFO asked me the question regarding cpt codes 90832-90838, IS it possible to code this Client not present for the Whole session.
It states Psychotherapy times are for face-to-face services with patient and/or family member, but then it goes on to say
The patient must be present for all or some of the service.
Please Help.
Thank You,
Lainie Allen
Old 03-22-2013, 05:02 PM
Networker

PVAzCPC is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lainie4656 View Post
I do billing for Mental Health. My CFO asked me the question regarding cpt codes 90832-90838, IS it possible to code this Client not present for the Whole session.
It states Psychotherapy times are for face-to-face services with patient and/or family member, but then it goes on to say
The patient must be present for all or some of the service.
Please Help.
Thank You,
Lainie Allen
It is my understanding of CPT guidelines, that the patient must be present for at least some of the session, it does not specify a minimum amount of time the patient has to be present, just says ..."for all or some of the service." If the patient was not present at all, and just the family members are in attendance, the code would be 90846 "Family psychotherapy".
Old 03-23-2013, 03:42 AM
New

Lainie4656 is on a distinguished road

Thank You. I understood this too but just checking.