Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > General Surgery
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 AM
Guru

HILLIC is on a distinguished road
Default Biopsy of Clavicular Mass

One of our surgeons was going to remove a clavicular mass that is in the deep tissue/muscle of a pt but when he got in there, he was unable to remove the entire mass as it was attached to the subclavian vein. He then decided to just take a biopsy of the mass and call it good. It came back as a malignant melanoma. I cannot find a CPT code for the biopsy. If anyone has any ideas, please let me know! Thanks!
Old 10-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Guru

heathermc is on a distinguished road

what about code 23066? In the desk reference it states biopsy down deep within the soft tissue, such into the facial layer OR within the muscle. A portion is excised and submitted for path, irrigated and closed.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:48 PM
Guru

HILLIC is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I am pretty sure that's the code I will use. I am going to the Dissecting Op Reports workshop tomorrow so am going to wait to code the procedure. Maybe I'll learn something there! I was also thinking I could code it as a removal of a mass with the discontinued procedure modifier.....