Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > Cardiology
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2013, 03:32 PM
Guru

Robbin109 is on a distinguished road
Default ICD generator change with lead eval

In the CPT book it says Fluroscopy can't be used with codes 33206-33249 but to report fluorscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evulation w/o lead insertion, replacement or revision prodecures use 76000.

I have a procedure where the MD did a ICD generator change (33263) and then under fluorscopy check the leads for position. This sounds like it falls under the guidelines to bill 76000. I'm I correct?
Old 06-17-2013, 03:52 AM
Guru

TWinsor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbin109 View Post
In the CPT book it says Fluroscopy can't be used with codes 33206-33249 but to report fluorscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evulation w/o lead insertion, replacement or revision prodecures use 76000.

I have a procedure where the MD did a ICD generator change (33263) and then under fluorscopy check the leads for position. This sounds like it falls under the guidelines to bill 76000. I'm I correct?
According to the guidelines the 76000 is only reportable for diagnostic lead evaluation without insertion, replacment or revision procedures/ Since your physician is checking position of the lead after placing I would say this is not a diagnostic evaluation and should not be billed.

Just my opinion....
Old 06-17-2013, 05:53 AM
Networker

Twixle2002 is on a distinguished road

I would bill it with the 76000 because the physician only did a generator change. As long as he did nothing to the leads you should be fine to bill flouroscopy.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:35 AM
Guru

TWinsor is on a distinguished road

Checking lead position after placement is not the same as evaluating a lead.
Old 06-19-2013, 12:47 PM
Guru

Robbin109 is on a distinguished road

What would consider "evaluation of a lead"?

The CPT books says " Radiological supervision and interpretation related to the pacemaker or pacing cardioverter-defibrillator procedure is included in 33206-33249. To report fluoroscopic guidance for diagnostic lead evaluation without lead insertion, replacement, or relacement or revision procedures, use 76000"

....so it's not ANY insertion/replace/revision procudures, but LEAD insert/replace/revision procedures.

He is basically checking the positions of the leads after changing the battery which he needs fluroscopy to do. Code 33263 isn't included in the range 33206-33249 mentioned above.

Thoughts?