Go Back   AAPC Medical Coding & Billing Forums > Medical Coding > OB/GYN
Forum Rules FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Networker

jhack is on a distinguished road
Default featl demise 17-19 weeks and vaginal delivery

I have a situation where a pt went to the e.r with excessive bleeding and no prenatal care. The pt went through a vaginal delivery. Would this still be billed as 59409?
Old 10-24-2008, 08:02 AM
Expert

aguelfi is on a distinguished road

CPT say for medical treatmet of spontaneous complete abortion (miscarriage), any trimester, use E/M codes 99201-99233. Was the fetus born alive or did it die inutero?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:18 AM
New

howardi is on a distinguished road
Question Inevitable Abortion

I have a similar situation,

This patient was PPROM and vaginal bleeding @ 19 wks, pt was given misoprostol and delivered baby with apgar 1*1*1*9, doctor checked vaginal delivery,
Should it just be admission and sub with DX 635.70 LEGAL AB W COMP NEC-NOS, 658.23 PROLONG RUPT MEMB-AP ?
Old 05-26-2009, 08:30 AM
True Blue

mitchellde will become famous soon enoughmitchellde will become famous soon enough

As far as the dx code, look to the coding guidelines... If the baby is delivered live at birth regardless of how long the baby lives then it is a delivery 650 if it is normal with a V code for the outcome of liveborn. I am not certain of using an E&M code if the physician documents a preterm delivery.
Old 05-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Networker

tjanz1418 is on a distinguished road

Here is a link to ACOG explaining what they think you should bill before and after 20 weeks. I had a similiar situation to yours and I billed an E&M with the placenta delivery code.

http://www.acog.org/from_home/depart...-abortions.pdf