AMA Releases CPT 2012 Category II Codes
The American Medical Association (AMA) has released new and revised CPT® Category II codes, effective Jan. 1, 2012. The changes were posted on the CPT® Category II Codes section of the AMA website on Sept. 14.
Category II codes are supplemental tracking codes used for performance measurement (e.g., the Physician Quality Reporting System). They are intended to facilitate data collection about the quality of care rendered by coding certain services and test results that support nationally established performance measures and that have an evidence base as contributing to quality patient care.
The use of Category II codes is optional. The codes are not required for correct coding and should not be used in place of Category I codes. They describe clinical components that may: typically be included in evaluation and management (E/M) or clinical services; result from clinical laboratory or radiology tests and other procedures; identify processes intended to address patient safety practices or services reflecting compliance with state or federal law.
For 2012, four Category II codes are deleted and replaced by newer codes:
- 4002F Statin therapy, prescribed (CAD) is deleted and replaced by 4013F Statin therapy prescribed or currently being taken (CAD).
- 4006F Beta Blocker therapy prescribed (CAD, HF) is replaced by 4008F Beta-Blocker therapy prescribed or currently being taken (CAD, HF).
- 4009F Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor or angiotensin receptor blocker (ARB) therapy prescribed (HF, CAD, CKD), (DM) is replaced by 4010F Angiotensin converting enzyme (ACE) inhibitor or Angiotensin Receptor Blocker (ARB) therapy prescribed or currently being taken (CAD, HF).
- 4275F Hepatitis B vaccine injection administered or previously received (HIV) is replaced by 4149F Hepatitis B vaccine injection administered or previously received (HEP C, HIV) (IBD).
Several dozen new codes have been added in clinical areas such as angina, tobacco use, Neuropsychiatric symptoms, and more.
For a full list of revisions to Category II codes (as well as a sneak peak at some 2013 codes), see “Update to list of Category II Codes” dated September 14, 2011.
Latest posts by admin aapc (see all)
- US gets the ball rolling on ICD-11 - August 16, 2019
- Message From Your Region 7 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018