Round 2: Medicare Calls DME Suppliers to the Ring
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) released on Nov. 30 a detailed timeline for Round 2 of the Competitive Bidding Program for durable medical equipment, prosthetics, orthotics, and supplies (DMEPOS).
Under the program DMEPOS suppliers compete to become Medicare contract suppliers by submitting bids to provide certain items in competitive bidding areas (CBAs).
The first phase of the program was implemented on Jan. 1, 2011 for nine product categories in nine areas of the country. CMS opened up registration for the second phase on Dec. 5 and bidding will begin in late January 2012.
Round 2 expands the program to 91 additional U.S. metropolitan areas and adds to the existing list of product categories, to include:
- Oxygen, oxygen equipment, and supplies;
- Standard (power and manual) wheelchairs, scooters, and related accessories (a new category that combines all mobility devices);
- Enteral nutrients, equipment, and supplies;
- Continuous positive airway pressure (CPAP) devices and respiratory assist devices (RADs) and related supplies and accessories;
- Hospital beds and related accessories;
- Walkers and related accessories;
- Negative pressure wound therapy pumps and related supplies and accessories (new category); and
- Support surfaces (Group 2 mattresses and overlays).
The new DMEPOS prices are expected to take effect on July 1, 2013.
In an effort to bring down prices for mail order diabetic supplies, CMS is conducting a National Mail Order Competition in conjunction with the Round 2 timeline.
Additional information about Round 2 can be found on the CMS DMEPOS Competitive Bidding website.
Latest posts by admin aapc (see all)
- Message From Your Region 7 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018
- Message From Your Region 6 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018
- Message From Your Region 5 Representatives | October 2018 - October 24, 2018